Do you shoot without a lens hood?

6 years 3 months ago #567454 by KENT MELTON
I've learned that many pro's keep their lens hoods home because most of the time, they don't make much difference and take up so much space in their camera bags.  There was much more to the blog post than this, however that is the short version. 

So, what about you, do you shoot with or without a lens hood on?

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #567465 by Pettigrew
Always have mine on except when shooting macro.  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #567468 by effron
Usually off when landscape shooting, they interfere with my filters. Walk around mostly its on....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #567491 by Joslyn
When I'm using my filters, they have to be off.  Other than that, I try to keep it on.  Just in case. 

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #567502 by Vincent
All times when not using my filters

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567733 by Joe Peterson
Always in use with the exception of when I'm using filters.  Wait, was that an echo?  LOL yeah, seems I fall into that boat too.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567881 by Roy Wilson
Yes, but only in the same way as mentioned above. 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567918 by Overread
+1 agree

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567979 by Adam Nagle
The only time I don't use mine, like the rest of you, is when I have a filter screwed on to my lens.  I had a lens roll off a table a couple years ago, it hit the floor and the lens hood took the fall.  IMO, it saved this lens.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568014 by ShutterPal
When doing macro, filter getting used, my lens hood is on, or if I'm after lens flare, then I remove it.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568089 by Paul-Rossi
I do  a lot of bird photography - 20+ years.  I use a Canon 600 IS F4 most often.  If there is no wind or very light wind I leave the hood on.  But when it is windy, especially at Whitefish Point, where do a lot of flight photography of raptors on days with strong south component winds (at least 15 mph), I take the hood off.  That requires readjusting the position of the lens in the lens plate attached to a Whimberly head, in order to rebalance the camera and lens.  With the hood on the wind will oftentimes catch the hood and slightly blurred shots result - learned from experience.

Paul Rossi

Workshop:    paulrossibirds.wordpress.com/workshops/
Book:     beautifulbirdseup.wordpress.com/home/
www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Birds-Michigans...insula/dp/1684180953
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568099 by Ivy Winchell
+1 same here 

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568115 by Brandon F
Nope, always on.  Except for the above.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568559 by icepics
I rarely use one. I don't know what blog said pros don't usually use them, but most likely pros know when to use what piece of equipment (and don't stick a lens hood on just for the sake of having one on there). I think it depends on what you're doing.

I might if it's bright and sunny depending on the time of day; I've found that if its a longer lens hood it can affect the amount of light coming into the camera so I may need to adjust for that to get a proper exposure. I have filters to fit with or without the lens hood for one of my lenses so I can use them either way.

If you don't have a reason to use something, you probably don't need it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568640 by Bump N More
The only time I remove mine is when I'm using a filter, or shooting up close to wedding rings or baby feet or hands.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024