Is it OK to photograph mailboxes?

6 years 1 week ago #577733 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: According to the federal government, air space isn’t private property either. So, you could, according to their definition, fly a drone around and film someone’s entire property. 

This is certainly where I draw that line. The invention of drones has made a mess of this area. Best not to do it, however, “they” do it without warrants....

Sorry, stepping off my soapbox now. Lol 

Exactly: you can do precisely that. What's the problem? Your not liking is irrelevant, and has no impact on whether one should or should not. How is a non-horizontal shot from a different vantage point different from a street-standing shot?

And it turns out your assertion is not entirely correct. There is a definition for navigable airspace, and legal contention that property owners own the airspace above their property up to a certain height. That doesn't stop someone from flying near your property, nor does it stop someone on the street. Which means there are limits to the assumption of privacy. I believe that thinking otherwise is often based on a lack of critical analysis of the subject. Or cognitive bias, if you will.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #577820 by Luca
Well I got my answers and much much more!  You all are great.  Really thank you.  

Now regarding the drone, a gods eye view shot offers much more visually than what we are accustom too.  However I thought FAA doesn't permit flying over residential areas.  Am I wrong? 

Photo Comments
6 years 4 days ago #578433 by Robert Hardy
So if a magazine said they wanted to publish your photo and it showed someones name on a mailbox, you would or wouldn't be able to use it with out release? 

Photo Comments
6 years 4 days ago #578443 by garyrhook
That’s unclear. A name on a mailbox is public information. The question is whether the magazine would want a release to absolve them of any risk of lawsuit (valid or not).

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024