Pricing for a photo to be used on billboard

5 years 11 months ago #585092 by Sean Lamber
I have an insurance company here that wants me to give them a quote for an image of high resolution to be used on a billboard.  There are 17 people with a car on one side of the group and a boat and RV on the other side.

So technically, I'd be taking a number of photos and stitching them together to get the resolution need for this huge image.  The only thing I'm not sure about is how to price this.   Would you charge for a license that expires after certain time frame? 

Or how would you go about pricing this one?

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #585139 by fmw
Hourly rate plus expenses.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #585143 by icepics
You're going to be licensing usage. You'll need a contract. Yes, it will be for a specific time period and specific purpose (the billboard). If they want to extend it beyond say, a year, then I think the additional usage for the same photo would be less for a second year than the initial year's cost. If they want more than the billboard (ads, social media marketing, etc.) that'll cost more and be worth more.

This is commercial (business) use and needs to be priced accordingly. Get on asmp.org or PPA (or even take a look at the Photo District News www.pdnonline.com ). They have links to I think the same pricing guide. ASMP has (or did, I haven't looked lately) have a 'paperwork' share where working pros post actual jobs they did. Seems like commercial work usually can run into thousands for a number of photos (because of how much money a business can potentially make from use of the photos).

Depends I guess if the insurance company is providing the 17 people... don't know if they are employees? customers? I'm thinking for commercial use, model and/or property releases are needed so you might need to check. If someone sees their photo on the billboard and didn't know that's what the picture was for it could be problematic later. (I would think these people gave permission but you never know, they may not have realized they'd be plastered all over a huge billboard.)

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #585144 by garyrhook
And you can get a ballpark figure by going to getty images and pricing something out. You'll need to know the timeframe for the usage.

On top of that will be the charge to put it all together, since they want something custom.

Congrats on the gig.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #585156 by effron
Ditto and ditto

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #585169 by Pettigrew
You have some good input already, I'll just say congrats on the job! 

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024