What would you do in this situation?

4 years 11 months ago #644691 by Tim Wiener
I was talking to a buddy of mine this morning who shot a wedding yesterday and decided to start working on his images today.  From what I gather about 50% of the photos look soft and out of focus.
He was telling me that earlier this week he had been messing around with the different autofocus settings on his camera and forgot to change it back.  I was telling him he should have been zooming in after every view shots to spot check exposure and focus.  He said it was a fast pace wedding and didn't have the chance, that all the shots looked great on back of his camera.

I had no advice for him.  That's a rough spot to be in. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644693 by Nikon Shooter
If he is an amateur, a lesson to be learned.
If he is a pro, PROS HAVE NO EXCUSES.

A most embarrassing situation, indeed.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644701 by garyrhook
It's a demonstrable fact that Nikons can think they have focus when they don't, and still capture an image. I occasionally end up with soft images, which is annoying/disappointing. Topaz Labs Sharpen AI can help a tiny bit, but there are no miracles.

If this was the wedding proper, how big are those images going to be? How soft are they? Slightly? And will they be presented at 2000 pixels on the long edge? Or printed as 5x7s? Perhaps it's not so bad, as long as they're not too soft.

So, a lot depends upon how egregious the problem is, and what the end us is. If an album, pretend it's film, process it as such, and call it a "style". The biggest issue may be prints of the formal images, but that depends upon what is needed.

Lots of variables here, so one can only offer so much. Painful lesson for the photographer.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644710 by Ian Stone
Hopefully the client is OK with small prints.  Nothing else I can say that hasn't been said already!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644760 by Happy Hour
Refund partial to client, try some sharpening tools and either push for smaller prints, or print on canvas where the prints are little more forgiving.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024