CFExpress cards vs XQD memory cards?

4 years 4 months ago #669887 by Evi-Tthought

garyrhook wrote: Sony licenses XQD (yet another reason to dislike Sony... they didn't learn from the Memory Stick) making it an expensive option. CFE will be unencumbered by licensing crapola. (All as I understand it...I could be mistaken.)

What on earth are you talking about, dude?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQD_card

The format was first announced in November 2010 by SanDisk, Sony and Nikon, and was immediately picked up by the CompactFlash Association for development.[3] The final specification was announced in December 2011.[1][4]On 7 September 2016 the CFA announced the successor of XQD, CFexpress. This new standard uses the same form-factor and interface but uses the NVMe protocol for higher speeds, lower latencies and lower power consumption.

Why are you complaining about Sony here? At least look up simple facts if you are going to add "this is why hate Sony" lines in random topics

4 years 4 months ago #669972 by garyrhook

Evi-Tthought wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Sony licenses XQD (yet another reason to dislike Sony... they didn't learn from the Memory Stick) making it an expensive option. CFE will be unencumbered by licensing crapola. (All as I understand it...I could be mistaken.)

What on earth are you talking about, dude?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQD_card

The format was first announced in November 2010 by SanDisk, Sony and Nikon, and was immediately picked up by the CompactFlash Association for development.[3] The final specification was announced in December 2011.[1][4]On 7 September 2016 the CFA announced the successor of XQD, CFexpress. This new standard uses the same form-factor and interface but uses the NVMe protocol for higher speeds, lower latencies and lower power consumption.

Why are you complaining about Sony here? At least look up simple facts if you are going to add "this is why hate Sony" lines in random topics

Nothing you quote is in conflict with my post. Did you actually read my words?

Were you around when Sony tried to make MemoryStick a "thing"? Because it failed miserably (fact) with respect to industry adoption. And at this point, even Sony doesn't use XQD in their cameras (fact). Only Nikon does (fact). And it's expensive (fact).

I am well aware that SanDisk, Nikon, and Sony collaborated on the development of XQD. Sony licenses their technology, I conclude that anyone else that wants to use XQD will have to pay for the privilege, and it's not clear anyone else is going to pay (supposition).

Your quote regarding CFE is in line with my statements, as well, and Sony does not (yet) appear to play in the CFE arena. One can only wonder why.

So, I did look up and quote simple facts, and you've done nothing to point out any flaws in my statements. Only point out that you didn't understand what I wrote.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670050 by Evi-Tthought
Nothing I quoted disproved your claim? WTH? I posted the fact that QXD was introduced by SanDisk, Sony, and Nikon jointly. Where is your source that Nikon and SanDisk pay license fees to Sony? They don't. They jointly released the format. 

Your memory stick example makes your point even weaker as Sony was using the memory stick in their cameras. Sony is not using XQD in their cameras.  Nikon is using XQD in their cameras, and they are one that jointly released the format (along with Soy and SanDisk). Shouldn't you actually be whining about Nikon for announcing and then even using XQD cards in their cameras? 

So here is where we stand: Sony uses memory stick in their cameras and you whine about Sony doing that (even though you don't own Sony cameras and makes no difference to you if they use memory stick). 

Then Nikon uses XQD in their cameras but you still whine about Sony (even though Sony doesn't use XQD card in their camera, not that makes a difference to you as you don't own Sony cameras). 

So regardless you only whine about Sony no matter what happens or what kind of card they use in their cameras? Is that your point? Why didn't you whine about Nikon using XQD in their cameras? 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024