Photographers rights in public space??

4 years 6 months ago #664475 by Adam S
Can another person on the street in public space touch your camera and push your camera and lens down?  Like hand over lens, pushing it to the ground?  Is that considered assault?  

I just got back from shooting this morning near a public statue and this guy came up to me, claiming I was photographing his pregnant wife who happened to be stinking 20 yards at least behind the statue not even in my frame! 

I had heard the guy arguing with his wife no less than 15 minutes earlier.  She wasn't having it and seemed to be dishing it right back at him.  My take is he had enough of her, and decided to try to take his macho aggression out on me. 

Is this a case of assault?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #664479 by icepics
I don't think anyone has the right to grab, push, or shove another person (or their belongings). There aren't 'photographers' rights' as such but unless you're on private property you (or anyone with a cell phone or camera) should be able to take photos.

I don't know if this would be considered assault or at what point it is; it depends on the situation. You'd need to decide whether to call the police and report it or not. Of course you don't know what's been going on with these people. The guy might have overreacted because he saw you and your camera and wouldn't want pictures of himself
arguing with his wife to end up on social media and possibly being seen
by his family, his boss, etc.

Because of training with the type work I've done, I know it can help to try to be aware of what's going on around you; it can be be better to distance yourself and keep an eye on what's going on, then go back to take pictures (of the statue) once the people were gone (unless things got to the point that you or other bystanders needed to call the police). If you're approached
it can help to take a breath, talk calmly and quietly to help bring down
the other person's level; you want to try to de-escalate the situation. Maybe you could offer to tell or show the person that you're using a
short lens, etc. and only the statue was in your photos.

Sometimes it takes being the bigger person, the mature adult, even if you feel you're in the right, and not stoop to the other person's level. Be aware and preventive as much as possible.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #664484 by Adam S
Hey thanks for the reply.  I was actually there first.  And I did, I was calm, I had tried to show the photos I had taken, just as you pointed out.  When I lifted my camera up to show him, he pushed it back down.  Again, seemed like he was taking out his marriage problems out on me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #664495 by hghlndr6
Yes it is an assault.  And if he hit you, it is an assault and battery.
4 years 6 months ago #664539 by garyrhook
Assuming you're in the USA:

Yes, that's assault. He could just as easily have asked you to not photograph him or his wife, although he has no right to expect compliance.

People don't understand the law. Big surprise. A wise person would attempt to deescalate and move. I would never show images, nor agree to remove them, or anything of the sort.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #664725 by icepics
If you were already there, you probably need to gauge the situation. You had the right to stay and continue taking pictures, but you might get a sense it could be better to move away, maybe keep a eye on what's going on, and come back later. Things can happen you can't necessarily anticipate or expect, and you never know what might be going on with someone. Not worth putting yourself at risk of bodily harm if you can prevent or avoid it.

The only other thing I can think is to maybe ask if the person wants to see the photos before assuming he wants to see them and trying to show him. It could be the person didn't want to admit he was in the wrong by seeing that you didn't actually have any photos of him...

Shoving your arm/camera seems like fairly minor assault. Doesn't make it right and he was in the wrong, but I think up to you if you feel you need to call the police or report the incident.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #664872 by effron
"Can another person on the street in public space touch your camera and push your camera and lens down?  Like hand over lens, pushing it to the ground?  Is that considered assault?  "

Who knows, but somebody starts pushing my camera assault could ensue.
I've had a similar incident with an outraged mommie claiming I was snapping shots of her kids in a public park. My wife was with our then young sons on the nearby swings, I was photographing bees on the flowers with my 200 f/4 macro...a scary, telephoto looking black lens!
She went hysterical and five minutes later I was protecting her....from my wife. We called the cops, I showed them the pics on camera and the ditz got a serious warning.....
You need to size up the situation and weigh a fight, or just walking away.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #664997 by Crammer
These days you can't be too careful when in public.  I think there are so many loose triggers out there.  I would have showed an image or two and point out nothing for them to be concerned about and just moved on. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #665100 by Adam S
Well it's all good.  Thanks all for the comments.  I had time to  think about this and considered your comments.   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024