Raising ISO digitally vs ISO with film

4 years 4 months ago #668916 by Rudy Sosa
Remember back in the film days, if you shot with a roll of film that was ISO 100 or 200, you would have darker shadows and the image would look over saturated.  These days things are different.  ISO 100 would require far less work to have a useable image.  

Film - there was advantage of using higher ISO
Digital - advantage in lower ISO

*Within reason for both of these.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668918 by effron
We used to push film processing to compensate for shooting at higher asa/iso than the film was rated for. Its what there was.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668923 by Rudy Sosa
Do you still shoot film at all?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668935 by effron
Nope. I have no desire to shoot film ever again.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669187 by fmw
Why do you think shooting higher ISO was an advantage with film?  The higher the ISO the larger the grain and lower the acuity.  Same issues with digital ISO except we call the grain noise.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669409 by icepics
No, I don't think shooting film I've gotten darker shadows or oversaturated colors. I wonder if what you've seen are old photos that may not have been stored in archival conditions, or digital photos edited to supposedly look like film (which look like pictures stored in a shoebox in somebody's attic!).

If you use fresh film you can get good color and contrast, etc. I'm not sure what is meant by ISO 100 would require less work... I don't get how it would be more work to shoot 400 speed film, or to shoot at 100 or 200 or 400 or whatever ISO using a digital camera.

It may be a different way of recording images but when I'm out shooting and take along a film rangefinder and my digital camera that both use the same lenses, it isn't harder using one or the other. It's a matter of metering a scene and determining proper exposure and adjusting for the existing light.

The only thing I can think of offhand is if I'm shooting in the evening and losing light, I'll get to the point that even with 400 speed film I won't be able to get any more usable images (unless a photographer sets up with a tripod and does long exposures). With the digital camera I can keep shooting a little longer til it gets too dark and there just isn't enough light.

There are a lot of misconceptions and plenty of inaccurate info. online.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024