50mm f/1.2 vs 85mm f/1.8

4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #759611 by Paris Gal
When it comes to capturing those picture-perfect moments with my trusty Nikon, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I play it safe (and wallet-friendly) with the 85mm 1.8 Nikkor, or do I leap for the 50mm 1.2, lured by its siren song of dreamy bokeh and artistic compression?

Now, here's the million-dollar question (or at least a few hundred bucks): can the 85mm 1.8, when wide open, mimic the bokeh magic of the 50mm 1.2? After all, they say longer lenses are the fairy godmothers of bokeh land.

If that's the case, I could just take a few steps back with the 85mm, save some cash, and not feel like I'm carrying a small boulder around. Practical and penny-wise – or is it? What do you think?

I have always been a Canon girl, so this Nikon camera is taking me a little time to get used too.  

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #759623 by TCav

4 months 1 week ago #759632 by Razky

Paris Gal wrote: When it comes to capturing those picture-perfect moments with my trusty Nikon, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I play it safe (and wallet-friendly) with the 85mm 1.8 Nikkor, or do I leap for the 50mm 1.2, lured by its siren song of dreamy bokeh and artistic compression?
Now, here's the million-dollar question (or at least a few hundred bucks): can the 85mm 1.8, when wide open, mimic the bokeh magic of the 50mm 1.2? After all, they say longer lenses are the fairy godmothers of bokeh land.
If that's the case, I could just take a few steps back with the 85mm, save some cash, and not feel like I'm carrying a small boulder around. Practical and penny-wise – or is it? What do you think?
I have always been a Canon girl, so this Nikon camera is taking me a little time to get used too.

Neither lens focal length nor the aperture number have an effect upon bokeh.

4 months 1 week ago #759658 by Scotty

Razky wrote:

Paris Gal wrote: When it comes to capturing those picture-perfect moments with my trusty Nikon, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I play it safe (and wallet-friendly) with the 85mm 1.8 Nikkor, or do I leap for the 50mm 1.2, lured by its siren song of dreamy bokeh and artistic compression?

You mean the specification or actually adjusting to that aperture setting?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759660 by Razky

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

You mean the specification or actually adjusting to that aperture setting?

Both.

4 months 1 week ago #759661 by Scotty
Aperture has nothing to do with bokeh?

Can you explain?

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759663 by Razky

Scotty wrote: Aperture has nothing to do with bokeh?

Can you explain?

Focal length and aperture can affect the amount of out-of-focus blur - bokeh describes the (highly subjective) "quality" of that out-of-focus blur. I believe this is the generally accepted definition of the word:  en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bokeh

4 months 1 week ago #759664 by Scotty

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Focal length and aperture can affect the amount of out-of-focus blur - bokeh describes the (highly subjective) "quality" of that out-of-focus blur. I believe this is the generally accepted definition of the word:  en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bokeh

You said it has nothing to do with it. I'm confused lol. 

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759665 by Scotty

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759666 by Razky

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Let's try this - suppose you photograph a person a couple of feet in front of a lighted Christmas tree with 2 different 85mm lenses from the same distance at f/1.4. All else being equal, the amount of out-of-focus blur would be the same. However, it's entirely possible that the out-of-focus lights in one picture could look harsh and cold, while those in the other could look soft and cuddly. The former would generally be considered as bad bokeh, the latter, good bokeh. The difference is due to lens design, and has nothing to do with focal length or aperture number. For what it's worth, a lens with 12 curved diaphragm blades will exhibit smoother bokeh than a lens with 6 straight aperture blades. There are other design factors involved that I am not knowledgeable of. Nor is one always "better" than the other - my 100 f/4.0 Isco is well suited for Halloween and forensics, my 105 f/3.5 Schacht for Valentines and portraits. I think we call bokeh good or bad for lack of anything else to call it. Hopefully this has been helpful, as I'm not sure how else to explain it. Always willing to try, though.

4 months 1 week ago #759667 by Scotty

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Let's try this - suppose you photograph a person a couple of feet in front of a lighted Christmas tree with 2 different 85mm lenses from the same distance at f/1.4. All else being equal, the amount of out-of-focus blur would be the same. However, it's entirely possible that the out-of-focus lights in one picture could look harsh and cold, while those in the other could look soft and cuddly. The former would generally be considered as bad bokeh, the latter, good bokeh. The difference is due to lens design, and has nothing to do with focal length or aperture number. For what it's worth, a lens with 12 curved diaphragm blades will exhibit smoother bokeh than a lens with 6 straight aperture blades. There are other design factors involved that I am not knowledgeable of. Nor is one always "better" than the other - my 100 f/4.0 Isco is well suited for Halloween and forensics, my 105 f/3.5 Schacht for Valentines and portraits. I think we call bokeh good or bad for lack of anything else to call it. Hopefully this has been helpful, as I'm not sure how else to explain it. Always willing to try, though.

Makes sense. I think we were looking at it differently.   I thought you mean going from f/8 to f/1.2 wouldn't affect bokeh. 

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759668 by Scotty

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Makes sense. I think we were looking at it differently.   I thought you mean going from f/8 to f/1.2 wouldn't affect bokeh. 

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759671 by Razky

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Well, going from f/8 to f/1.2 will affect the depth of field, but shouldn't affect bokeh.

4 months 1 week ago #759673 by Scotty

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

Well, going from f/8 to f/1.2 will affect the depth of field, but shouldn't affect bokeh.

It affects it, but it doesn't determine quality and think that's what you're getting at, which I agree.

How to Create Bokeh - Bokeh Photography Tips | Nikon | Nikon (nikonusa.com)

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759674 by Razky

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Razky wrote:

Can you explain?

It affects it, but it doesn't determine quality and think that's what you're getting at, which I agree.

How to Create Bokeh - Bokeh Photography Tips | Nikon | Nikon (nikonusa.com)  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024