How do I protect my camera from the rain?

13 years 1 month ago #41722 by 65byi
I would like to shoot rain drops but I am afraid of it getting the camera wet. How do I protect my camera from the rain?

13 years 1 month ago #41723 by crystal
well you can buy an actual rain sleeve that is made for cameras or you can just use a plastic bag.
13 years 1 month ago #41724 by 65byi
Do the rain sleeves work?

13 years 1 month ago #41725 by crystal
I have a rain sleeve and although it works, I also find it in the way. It's annoying. If I end up using it, in the middle of shooting, I take it off. lol That's if I am shooting water drops on flowers. If i am just shooting lightning, I keep it on.
13 years 1 month ago #41790 by Joe Somebody

crystal wrote: well you can buy an actual rain sleeve that is made for cameras or you can just use a plastic bag.

:goodpost:

13 years 1 month ago #41830 by Great Gaspy

13 years 1 month ago #41873 by arkady001
Best way to keep the camera dry is leave it in the house.
Most decent cameras and lenses are weather sealed (see manufacturer's guidlines for which) - by 'decent' I mean 'expensive'.

I've cheerfully used my kit in snowstorms, hail sleet and torrential rain, including African monsoons - all without rain-covers - take sensible precautions: wipe frequently and don't change lenses in driving rain.

You may notice these guys are a bit wet - I was just as wet and so were my cameras. For five consecutive days, I was wet through to my socks. When I could, I got under cover and dried the cameras as best I could. If I could stop shooting, I did so and put them away in my bag, making certain I took them out as soon as the rain had eased off to let them air - keeping damp kit 'bagged' is as good a way of ruining expensive camera kit as any other I've come across.
When we moved into cover for the night, I made sure the kit stayed out of the bags (which were also left open) to dry thoroughly.

13 years 1 month ago #41894 by Stealthy Ninja

arkady001 wrote: Best way to keep the camera dry is leave it in the house.

:judge:
13 years 1 month ago #42002 by McBeth Photography

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

arkady001 wrote: Best way to keep the camera dry is leave it in the house.

:judge:

:agree:

It is what it is.
13 years 1 month ago #42031 by S0cc3r

65byi wrote: I would like to shoot rain drops but I am afraid of it getting the camera wet. How do I protect my camera from the rain?

If you are afraid of it getting wet, then never shoot with it in the rain.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024