A bride to be has given me to dates for wedding!? Need some help on this one.

12 years 11 months ago #79325 by Richard K Photography
I have a bride to be who is really indecisive and has given me two "potential" dates for her wedding that I'm suppose to be shooting 7 months from now. This was 2 weeks ago, and she has been pretty communicative with me since then.

Now here is the problem, I just got a call from a new bride to be that wants to book me for one of the dates the first bride has me "potentially" for. So do I take the new job that has 100% date confirmation and chance the other wedding will fall on the other date? Or do I not take the new work?

What would you do in this situation. This has not happened with me before.

Thanks!

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79329 by MLKstudios
I'd let the other bride know first, then book the new date.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #79335 by Trudehell
You should not be expected to lose money or work because of some client's uncertainty.

Contact the first bride to be and explain to her that you have a new client on one of the dates she's hired you for. Ask that she make up her mind about the date now - or pay you your potential losses if she expects you to keep two dates open.

Maybe, with planning and sceduling, you can do both jobs, either way?

PS:
I worked at a law firm, when a lady rang and (obviousely thought she'd dialed another number) asked what the fee for wedding photos was. "Oh, we charge lawyer's fees here!" I said. She hung up on me. DS

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.
12 years 11 months ago #79337 by Richard K Photography
That is what I'm hoping for... to be able to do both jobs with out losing business. But the dates aren't up to me. So crossing fingers at this point.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79367 by Johnnie
I would contact the 1st bride and explain to her that she needs to book with deposit for one of the dates due to the fact that you already have a 2nd birde willing to book and contract with you on one of her dates. Business is business. You do not want to loose revenue!

12 years 11 months ago #79369 by Nikonjan
I agree with the others, tell the first bride you have someone else that wants one of the dates and make her choose. Good luck if you do both. They take so much of your time, the last one I did was 6 hrs. From start of bride getting ready to the end of the wedding. But you know this already. :toocrazy:

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #79535 by Henry Peach
My policy is that all dates are available until a contract has been signed and retainer paid. Contracts must have the wedding date before I'll sign. I tell brides who inquire about a date that I'd be glad to call them if anyone else inquires about the same date within the next few weeks. If they still want me to contact them after that they need to call or email me and tell me they are still interested in hiring me. I make it clear that I will assume they decided to hire someone else if they don't keep reminding me.

When I call the first bride and tell them about the inquiry they have a limited time to sign a contract and put down the retainer (about a day usually). After that whoever signs first gets the date. I wish I could work for everyone who wanted to hire me, but there are only so many Saturdays in a year.
12 years 11 months ago #79605 by Richard K Photography
You guys have made my decision much easier, I sent a email to both identifying that I have 2 brides and just one of me, that I would love to work with both, however just to be fair... who ever gets me a deposit and contract first will get my services that day.

Thanks again everyone.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79855 by effron

Richard K Photography wrote: You guys have made my decision much easier, I sent a email to both identifying that I have 2 brides and just one of me, that I would love to work with both, however just to be fair... who ever gets me a deposit and contract first will get my services that day.

Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, they are probably both contacting other photographers right now. You should take the first confirming job, take a deposit and reserve the date.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79861 by photobod

effron wrote:

Richard K Photography wrote: You guys have made my decision much easier, I sent a email to both identifying that I have 2 brides and just one of me, that I would love to work with both, however just to be fair... who ever gets me a deposit and contract first will get my services that day.

Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, they are probably both contacting other photographers right now. You should take the first confirming job, take a deposit and reserve the date.

I agree with Effron, you should have booked the definate date, then told the bride with two dates that you are only available for one of the dates and if she chooses that date you would be happy to book her, never hang around with bookings.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #79863 by robbie
Why email both of them when you could call the first bride and get an answer then call the second bride
to let her know the outcome.It`s the personal touch that will put you in front of other photographers
in your area.I would call them now.

12 years 11 months ago #79883 by Richard K Photography
I should have clarified guys. I had left both message's to call me yesterday. I sent the emails as a follow up.

Update - The first bride confirmed the wedding on the "off" date! She emailed me at nearly midnight last night with scanned copy of my contract and her billing information for the deposit. :banana:

I will be following up with the 2nd bride shortly. :beerbang:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79885 by MLKstudios
Congrats. Sounds like the pieces are all falling in place.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #79893 by robbie

MLKstudios wrote: Congrats. Sounds like the pieces are all falling in place.

:)

Second that!

12 years 11 months ago #79897 by crystal

Richard K Photography wrote: I have a bride to be who is really indecisive and has given me two "potential" dates for her wedding that I'm suppose to be shooting 7 months from now. This was 2 weeks ago, and she has been pretty communicative with me since then.

Now here is the problem, I just got a call from a new bride to be that wants to book me for one of the dates the first bride has me "potentially" for. So do I take the new job that has 100% date confirmation and chance the other wedding will fall on the other date? Or do I not take the new work?

What would you do in this situation. This has not happened with me before.

Thanks!

I book the 2nd bride who has confirm the date. I would tell the first bride, pretty much..."you snooze you loose". She might have booked you, but IMO if there is no confirm ONE date, then it's not a booked shoot.

I would not call the 1st bride and tell her, you have a 2nd bride wanting the other date and that the 1st bride needs to make up her mind. No, don't do that. You are leaving the decision up to the bride. You are the photographer, it's your job. You decide what you want to do. Take the 2nd bride or continue to play games with the 1st bride.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024