Who's shooting with film these days?

12 years 10 months ago #97033 by Rob pix4u2
I tied the T-Max 3200 and wasn't satisfied with the grain ( shooting hockey ) but used slower 100 and 400 outdoors and was happier with the performance of the film. Thanks for your input as I still have film in the fridge and freezer that I want to use

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #97083 by Oscar Cohen

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I tied the T-Max 3200 and wasn't satisfied with the grain ( shooting hockey ) but used slower 100 and 400 outdoors and was happier with the performance of the film. Thanks for your input as I still have film in the fridge and freezer that I want to use

Literally in the fridge and freezer??

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #97089 by Rob pix4u2
Film stored in the freezer is one of the ways to keep the film fresh even after the expiration date - just defrost for a few hours before you go to use it

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago #97123 by Henry Peach
I finally cleared out my freezer stash a few months ago, and gave it all away. I decided it better get used by someone before the cosmic rays got it. :)
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #97327 by icepics
I've bought film from Freestyle, they do have a nice selection of hard-to-find photo supplies. I got some Rollei/Agfa 127 size film from them.

I've also gotten film thru Lomography - usa.shop.lomography.com . They carry some well-known brands as well as some oddities and specials on expired films etc.They have their own film which I tried (in a retro plastic camera) and got some good pictures (in the so-called 'lo-fi' style). They started in Europe but have a location in NYC and ship fast, I get it w/in 3-4 days usually.

Central Camera in Chicago has some odd-sized film too. Film for Classics stopped selling their film directly but they still re-spool film and sell it thru B&H and Adorama. Then there's
still Kodak at the drugstore, at least in my area.

For fun you might enjoy junkstorecameras.com - you click on the picture of any camera to see pictures taken w/it. Here's a photo of one of my box Brownies (which I've used) taken w/the Pop 9, and some old photo paper that originally came from Central Camera, and for fun the LOL cam.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #97939 by Superman
Film would be fun, how much does film cost these days?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98019 by icepics
A basic Kodak 4 pack of color film is under $15. B&W Kodak Tri-X or T-Max and some of the Ilford films are under $5 per roll. There are some more unusual films that are cheaper and some that cost more.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98513 by Village Clown

icepics wrote: A basic Kodak 4 pack of color film is under $15. B&W Kodak Tri-X or T-Max and some of the Ilford films are under $5 per roll. There are some more unusual films that are cheaper and some that cost more.

What about developing it? Or do you develop your own film?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98521 by Rob pix4u2
Walgreens or Walmart, Costco all offer film developing still

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 10 months ago #98539 by mlj
I still use film these days, have three SLR camera, two thanks to my son. Use Costco for developing I found them to be the most reasonable, just not ready to give up film yet :)

12 years 10 months ago #99073 by JoAnne Muzila
I have a old 35mm film camera in box in the garage somewhere :whistle: I haven't used that camera in years!

12 years 10 months ago #99089 by Henry Peach

Village Clown wrote: What about developing it? Or do you develop your own film?

If I were going to go to the trouble of shooting film I'd take/send it to a lab I trusted. A full service lab staffed with folks who know what they are doing is only going to charge a few bucks more for development than the big box store labs. Up until a few weeks ago I could have developed my own BW, but now everything is finally packed up and stashed in the garage, and my wife would kill me if I started dragging it all out again. :nunu:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #99805 by icepics
In my area it used to be around $10/roll for color film, now it's getting closer to $15 at the regional chain of photo stores near me. B&W costs more, they have to set up the machine for it (and they probably have less of that coming in).

I sometimes just get film developed, maybe a proof sheet/index print, sometimes a CD. I was doing my own B&W prints but the darkroom at our local university got phased out so now I've been collecting equipment to set up my own darkroom eventually.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024