Controversial Photos

11 years 8 months ago #248088 by Scotty

warrense123 wrote:

aldyn wrote: I think it's a striking, thought-provoking photo. The people sitting and conversing (seemingly) casually is such a contrast to what is going on in the city skyline behind them. The events of 9/11 are arguably the most emotionally charged events to occur in this country's history, so the juxtaposition is fascinating to me. Do I think these people didn't care what was going on? Of course not. I think this was a split second on that day. I think these people gathered to bear witness, I doubt they even know each other. I don't find these people callous or uncaring. I give props to the photgrapher for taking such a memorable image.

Whether they are callous or not (I don't think they are either), the photographer saw a moment and captured it. And it is indeed a fascinating photograph. It's a shame he waited so long to release it, though I really can't blame him for it.

That shows he had respect for the situation.

I think it's an absolutely amazing photograph. People that weren't born yet or too young when this happened can learn a lot from the picture and the things we all remember.

Work like this helps for education and will be discussed for years.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #248094 by warrense123

Scotty wrote:

warrense123 wrote:

aldyn wrote: I think it's a striking, thought-provoking photo. The people sitting and conversing (seemingly) casually is such a contrast to what is going on in the city skyline behind them. The events of 9/11 are arguably the most emotionally charged events to occur in this country's history, so the juxtaposition is fascinating to me. Do I think these people didn't care what was going on? Of course not. I think this was a split second on that day. I think these people gathered to bear witness, I doubt they even know each other. I don't find these people callous or uncaring. I give props to the photgrapher for taking such a memorable image.

Whether they are callous or not (I don't think they are either), the photographer saw a moment and captured it. And it is indeed a fascinating photograph. It's a shame he waited so long to release it, though I really can't blame him for it.

I think it's an absolutely amazing photograph. People that weren't born yet or too young when this happened can learn a lot from the picture and the things we all remember.

Perhaps so. More than we can say from the repeated newsreels of folks jumping from the towers.

Tear-jerking, heart-wrenching images/videos right after the incident: Ok. This shot: Not?

Or do you think it all should have waited? Personally I find the aforementioned jumping shots way more controversial than this shot ever could be.

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #248095 by Scotty

warrense123 wrote:

Scotty wrote:

warrense123 wrote:

Perhaps so. More than we can say from the repeated newsreels of folks jumping from the towers.

Tear-jerking, heart-wrenching images/videos right after the incident: Ok. This shot: Not?

Or do you think it all should have waited? Personally I find the aforementioned jumping shots way more controversial than this shot ever could be.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this shot posted, was how life has changed since it happened. Things aren't as care free as it used to be here in the states. A lot more serious now. I mean hell look at airports.

The jumping videos i've seen when history showed a repeat of the day on the 1st year anniversary. I never want to see that visual again.

This shot is a representation of history. I think the fact the guy waited awhile to release it shows he wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #248097 by warrense123
Right, I don't think he was trying to be disrespectful either. I just mean to say with all the images and videos out there of the tragedy, THIS is the one image that stirred so much controversy, and 5 years later to boot. That's pretty unbelievable to me. People just want to get up on a high horse about something, in this case, how they would have looked much more concerned that the people pictured. At least, that's the only explanation I can think of.

11 years 8 months ago #248098 by Scotty

warrense123 wrote: Right, I don't think he was trying to be disrespectful either. I just mean to say with all the images and videos out there of the tragedy, THIS is the one image that stirred so much controversy, and 5 years later to boot. That's pretty unbelievable to me. People just want to get up on a high horse about something, in this case, how they would have looked much more concerned that the people pictured. At least, that's the only explanation I can think of.

I think this picture stirs up emotion in everyone. Some people might not like what it stirs up. I think in the years to come it'll be considered one of the best pictures ever taken for historic reference for the US. End of an era if you ask me.

It's not grotesque and it doesn't celebrate anything negative. It mere reflection.

Good in my eyes.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024