NEW Peak Design Travel Tripod - This is worth looking at

10 months 1 week ago #644950 by Alex
Let's face it most travel tripods are junk, or have something keeping them from being a 100%.  So you are kind of stuck finding the best you can, and using that.   A couple weeks ago, Peak Design sent me a pre-production version of their new travel tripod to review.  

I have to be frank, I don't hold my breath on tripods.  For years, they have been same vanilla design.  Peak Design seriously re-engineered the tripod and what you have is something that will leave you impressed.   

As I type this out, their Kickstarter campaign has been live for just over an hour with a Goal of $500,000 to raise.  They have crushed that and are now past $750,000!  How is that for social proof?!

Here's my review:  www.photographytalk.com/peak-design-travel-tripod  

Here is the video portion of the review:


Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #644955 by Nikon Shooter
Right, too many compromises will result in poor performance.

Though beautifully compact, one has to imagine that gizmo
when fully expended with 6 segments legs… can you figure
out the size and stability of the last of those!!!  :ohmy:   :sick:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #644956 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: Right, too many compromises will result in poor performance.

Though beautifully compact, one has to imagine that gizmo
when fully expended with 6 segments legs… can you figure
out the size and stability of the last of those!!!  :ohmy:   :sick:


Hey brother how are you doing?

Perhaps I need another coffee, can you expound a little further on your last statement... I'm not following you?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #644966 by Nikon Shooter

Alex wrote: Perhaps I need another coffee…


Step right in… just cooking a fresh one! :P

The 6th segment looks so thin… no tripod can be stable on that!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #644972 by Pete Franko
Looks like they just cleared $1,500,000.  Impressive.  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #645005 by garyrhook
Sorry, but no.

The 3 Legged Thing Corey has a bigger payload, same extended height, smaller stowed length, and is far less expensive (about half the price). Probably more stable, too. Oh, and for the aluminum, about the same weight. The PD offering is smaller around, yes, but does that offset everything else?

The 3LT products are outstanding. I wouldn't pay $350 the PD offering.

So, no.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645006 by garyrhook
Upside: nice job on the review.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645023 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry Alex, not six but five segments, the
previous thinness observation remains.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645041 by Andrew AG
They just crossed $3 million in under 24 hours. That's a lot of tripods.  Price is a little on the high.  That compact size is something to consider.  Nice job on the interview, the bloopers at the end were a nice touch.  

P.S.  Alex check your inbox box please, I sent you a message yesterday.  Thanks.  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645169 by Alex

garyrhook wrote: Sorry, but no.

The 3 Legged Thing Corey has a bigger payload, same extended height, smaller stowed length, and is far less expensive (about half the price). Probably more stable, too. Oh, and for the aluminum, about the same weight. The PD offering is smaller around, yes, but does that offset everything else?

The 3LT products are outstanding. I wouldn't pay $350 the PD offering.

So, no.


Hey Gary!

What's going on with you in Texas?!  Yeah it's a pricey tripod.  No hiding that.  While I have not used that specific 3 Legged Thing tripod, I have used their tripods in the past.  They make a great product.  

I can't comment about such a comparison.  Now you have me curious!  I might need to get my hands on one of these 'Coreys'.  I believe the stability of the PD is punching way out of it's weight class. Seriously, it's that good.  On paper... Corey has 30lb max load, PD has 33lbs.  PD has 2 " max height lead.  Corey has just over 1.5" shorter packed length.  They both weigh in nearly at the same with Corey just .02 lbs lighter.  The huge win for PD is that diameter.  It's just that small.  When traveling your biggest commodity is space.  So taking upwards of half the space of traditional travel tripods when stored away.. yeah, I think there will be many who put a higher value on that.  

Now I have found there is one item that I find a little restrictive with the PD.  That while shooting in portrait orientation, you need spin it the left side only, as right side it's not possible. 

At the time of making this post, they have raised $3,511,136 in just over 24 hours, with 7941 peeps standing behind this.  Which means an average of $442.15 is being spent per person.  So back on price, $599 is a bit high, I agree with you.  However after using this tripod, I think somewhere in the upper part of $470-$490 is a nice spot for this tripod.  As it turns out....5,694 photographers shelling out $479 for the carbon fiber...the pricier carbon fiber is definitely leading the sales for them.  


With that said, Peak Design didn't pay PhotographyTalk a dime, they just sent that to me to review and that's what they got.

Alright bud... call me up some time, it's been awhile!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645170 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Alex wrote: Perhaps I need another coffee…


Step right in… just cooking a fresh one! :P

The 6th segment looks so thin… no tripod can be stable on that!


Now your talking!  How are you brewing your coffee?  Kureg, French press, Chemex, AeroPress?  


Gotcha... yeah whether you talking 5 or 6 segments, in smaller travel tripods, there just isn't enough product/material to make things super sturdy.  


Back on the coffee idea, it's nearly 5pm here now.  Late in the day for coffee, I say we grab some drinks and head over to Gary's place for some good old fashion Texas BBQ!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645179 by garyrhook

Alex wrote: I can't comment about such a comparison.  Now you have me curious!  I might need to get my hands on one of these 'Coreys'.  I believe the stability of the PD is punching way out of it's weight class. Seriously, it's that good.  On paper... Corey has 30lb max load, PD has 33lbs.  PD has 2 " max height lead.  Corey has just over 1.5" shorter packed length.  They both weigh in nearly at the same with Corey just .02 lbs lighter.  The huge win for PD is that diameter.  It's just that small.  When traveling your biggest commodity is space.  So taking upwards of half the space of traditional travel tripods when stored away.. yeah, I think there will be many who put a higher value on that.  

<snip>

With that said, Peak Design didn't pay PhotographyTalk a dime, they just sent that to me to review and that's what they got.


Ha-ha! We know you're not a shill ;-)

I was working from the kickstarter description, which put the payload at 20 lbs. I don't see 33 lbs mentioned anywhere on that page. What am I missing?

Certainly, stability is a primary concern. At some point it will be interesting to lay hands on one. And clearly, the CF version is the one of interest.

Yes, we should catch up at some point.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
10 months 1 week ago #645192 by Alex

garyrhook wrote:

Alex wrote: I can't comment about such a comparison.  Now you have me curious!  I might need to get my hands on one of these 'Coreys'.  I believe the stability of the PD is punching way out of it's weight class. Seriously, it's that good.  On paper... Corey has 30lb max load, PD has 33lbs.  PD has 2 " max height lead.  Corey has just over 1.5" shorter packed length.  They both weigh in nearly at the same with Corey just .02 lbs lighter.  The huge win for PD is that diameter.  It's just that small.  When traveling your biggest commodity is space.  So taking upwards of half the space of traditional travel tripods when stored away.. yeah, I think there will be many who put a higher value on that.  

<snip>

With that said, Peak Design didn't pay PhotographyTalk a dime, they just sent that to me to review and that's what they got.


Ha-ha! We know you're not a shill ;-)

I was working from the kickstarter description, which put the payload at 20 lbs. I don't see 33 lbs mentioned anywhere on that page. What am I missing?

Certainly, stability is a primary concern. At some point it will be interesting to lay hands on one. And clearly, the CF version is the one of interest.

Yes, we should catch up at some point.




I'm working off tag that came with this pre-production unit.  Perhaps the tag I have is a misprint.  



When you do get the chance to play around with one, you'll see why myself and so many others are really liking what Peak Design did here.  

Alright bro... speak soon!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

802.3K

205K

1.62M

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To protect your camera gear (and your monetary investment), there are a few things you need to do. One of them is to use a bag that will protect your camera gear from breakage.

Mar 31, 2020

To make money in real estate photography, you need to take steps to ensure your prices can support your real estate photography business. Learn how to do that in this guide.

Mar 30, 2020

For many Realtors, DIY real estate photography is necessary because they can't access or afford professional real estate photography services. Get some quick photography tips for Realtors in this guide.

Mar 27, 2020

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

You want to invest in camera gear that will give you long-lasting performance. The photography gear on this list fits the bill to a tee!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020