Interview - Kristian Bertel, Photographer

12 years 4 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #178187 by Kristian Bertel

Photo of an Indian girl, Delhi, India.

Featured interview - Kristian Bertel's images have been shown as photo essays online - documenting many aspects of the daily life particularly in India.

How would you describe the work you do now…obviously there’s a strong reportage / photojournalistic element, but are you involved in the travel world also?

- My photographic angle is mainly documentary. I aim to share the spirit of the places I visit and the people I meet on my journey. Additionally, I would like to customize photography projects with organizations and NGOs. I think these projects challenge me to convey the spirit of their programs, the people involved, and the effects of the programs on their communities through photographs.
- My photography career began with a small Canon IXUS camera with street photography of people in New York and grafitti in Berlin. Later on I began taking photos in India where I focus more on gathering impressions and tell stories. I think photography can have a strong impact on society, and by taking photographs humanity can have a voice in the work I do.

How would you describe your photography style?

- I think it has been developing into travel photography with people in focus. Generally in a portfolio, I think few good photos are better than many average photos. I think, if you want to start a career as a photographer you shall focus on one thing. Shall it be nature photos, shall it be portraits or a whole third thing. I think if a photographer focuses on too many things the photographic signature isn't strong.

What inspires you as a photographer?

- The things I see each and every day. I am lucky to have the opportunity to travel the world finding inspiration in seeing light uniquely falling on landscapes, people, that I come across in my travels. Also I get inspiration from viewing the work of other photographers on sites.

Do you post-process your photos?

- Almost always. I shoot in jpg with the camera set flat, tend to always shoot between 3-4 frames of subject to ensure that I capture what I want in a scene. In the post-processing I try to highlight the person in the image so for instance a disburing background doesn't have so much to say.

When you are approaching subjects to photograph, how do you set about it? Do you chat and explain what you’re doing? Or take pictures first, ask questions later?

- Usually, I don't ask permission when taking pictures of people. I want to have that sudden moment where the eyes of the subjects meet my camera. Of course on the other side and when there are situations where there is no common spoken language, then I ask through charades. For example, pointing to the camera and then smiling at the person as if to say, “Is it OK?”. My general exception is when I take street or market shots from a distance and there are many subjects. But it is always a choice I make on the place and the people I photograph. However, I think portraits often can get a little staged in their expression if I ask permission for a photograph.

What three tips would you share for budding photographers who are interested in pursuing your style of photography?

- Use your eyes when you walk down the streets. The great photographic picture can also be above you, looking out from a window.
- Be patient, when you find a subject to photograph but the angle isn't there, then be patient and wait. I often stand in several minutes before a subjects face is in the right position for my photograph.
- If you photograph in sunlight go down -1.7 or -2.0 in EV. Too many times I have seen great images, where the white areas of the photos unfortunately are burned out in white.

See more of Kristian's work of photography:
www.kristianbertel.dk

See Kristian's photos on PhotographyTalk:
PhotographyTalk | Click for My Photos

Interview by I.W.

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #178436 by Stealthy Ninja
Talking to yourself bro?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024