New Website looking for feedback

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #272681 by mswiech
Hey everyone.

I am looking for your opinion and thoughts of my website that I created. Please bear in mind that the site is only a few days old. I am working on getting additional content on the site.

Thanks again for taking the time to look it over.

Here is the link - Mike Swiech Photography

Nikon D3100
Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
mikeswiechphotography.wordpress.com/

11 years 2 months ago #272687 by Vespista
Couldn't get the link to work Mike. Not on my iPad anyway.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #272709 by Darrell
Your site looks good!. Great way to display your images. You may want to disable right click as right now anyone can easily copy the images. There is no easy way to stop people who really want to use your pictures once they are on line but right click makes it too easy. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mswiech
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #272711 by rtenny
There is no right click protection anymore. On a windows pc you can always drag the image to you desktop and there is NOTHING you can do to stop that, (Maybe try suing Microsoft).
Best way is to add a water mark or a digital watermark to that you can proof somebody is using your images without consent.

11 years 2 months ago #272718 by sarahashleyphotos
I like the clean simple design. I also like the blog style website that a lot of people are using now. Since your work is more art photography you probably want to add a store to your website if your goal is to generate any income from it. Though you also have blog posts that are geared towards photographers which is confusing. Maybe make a separate website just for your gallery with a store only geared towards customers and one website geared towards photographers.

11 years 2 months ago #272762 by icepics
I'd think about showcasing your landscapes!! I'm not that into gear/reviews and those seem to be plentiful online so those wouldn't bring me back to the site.

Maybe streamline the photojournalism section down to a handful of the best photos for any one news event as there seem to be a number of parking lot shots for that event, then add to that section as you photograph more happenings.

I'm not sure if you're trying to sell your photos or just blogging; not that you can't do both on your site but you might think about how it's set up. I'm not sure either about using 'Us' when it's obviously one person, although I've seen that done frequently for whatever reason. You might want to edit/streamline the About page so it flows a bit more smoothly, and maybe consider elimininating the Facebook followers section (a link to your page might suffice).

I like a clean streamlined look, but I'd think about instead of a saying (which seems to be getting to be a dime a dozen) to have the top of your page stand out and say 'photography'. And I just looked back at your site and didn't realize the first time that if you move your cursor over the B&W photo it transforms into color! You might want to put the emphasis on your stunning landscape photos - you could knock people's socks off with those!

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #272982 by mswiech
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I really appreciate this.

Nikon D3100
Nikon AF-S 50mm F/1.8G
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
mikeswiechphotography.wordpress.com/

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #273248 by rmeyer7
Hey Mike, nice clean layout. If you don't mind, I do have a few suggestions (my real job is web design, photography is a hobby/side work). These are just a few ideas - my two cents that you can take or leave as you choose. :)
  1. Being a photographer's website, I'd like to see your photography showcased more prominently. My aim would be that when someone sees the site, their first thought is, "This guy is a photographer." Right now it feels more like a general blog, and you have to look around a bit to see that it's a photographer's site.
    Suggestion: Since the site appears to be Wordpress-based, consider using a slideshow plugin at the top of the page.

2. The "Gallery" menu item tries to go to a page if you click on it ( mikeswiechphotography.com/gallery/ ) that isn't set up. There are two different solutions I could suggest:
    Suggestion 1: Wordpress will allow you to change where any menu item points to. Go into the Menu admin panel, and change the "Gallery" link to a hash mark (#). Then it will only function as a drop-down instead of going to a different page.
    Suggestion 2: Put some content on your gallery page - simple images and links that to your individual galleries

3. The headings with the white text on a black background, at the top of each post, look like they're designed to be used on a white page background instead of grey. It's supposed to have a drop-shadow effect. You might consider either changing your page background color, or editing the image that has the drop shadow effect so that the little white triangle matches the grey color of your page (samples of all three below to show what I mean)

4. Current:

Changing page color:

(I cut out a little too much of the black bar, but you get the idea)

Changing the background image to match the page color:

[/ol]

Attachments:
11 years 4 weeks ago #278072 by TvPhotos
Nice work.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
11 years 4 weeks ago #278090 by fbicking
I really like it. Wondering what made you go the Wordpress route instead of a Zenfolio or Smugmug?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024