My web site

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #417802 by ColtCoanPhoto
Just switched back over to Squarespace. Love the flow overall.

www.coltcoan.com

Let me know your thoughts.

9 years 3 months ago #420310 by ubookoo
Awesome! Really like your work!!

9 years 3 months ago #420318 by ColtCoanPhoto
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

9 years 3 months ago #420319 by garyrhook

ColtCoanPhoto wrote: Let me know your thoughts.

About what?

Last time I shared thoughts I got attacked...

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420324 by ColtCoanPhoto
uh, okay? Then don't? Not sure what to tell you there. I've barely been a member here, so it wasn't me doing any sort of attacking.

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420331 by garyrhook
Please don't read anything into my words; take them at face value. Of course you weren't attacking me; I was referring to a previous thread wherein a similar general request was made. My comments were not *ahem* well-received.

Really: what sort of thoughts are looking for? About your website, it's appearance, organization, usability, effectiveness, color scheme, appeal? How it might impact a potential client? Whether it may or may not connect with your ideal customer?

And/or feedback on your portfolio? Like visiting a gallery, are you interested in the responses of the viewers on the collection as a whole? Do you want to hear what people think of your work?

So when I inquire as to "about what" it is these sorts of questions I have in mind. I have no idea which one(s) to answer, but I'm willing to. I just thought I'd better find out more about you, so I can stay on target.

That's all.

Welcome aboard!

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420332 by ColtCoanPhoto
Well I'm pretty confident in my work and the clients I bring in. I was more thinking for the site if anything. If someone feels like making a comment about my work, I'm a big boy, I can take it :)

9 years 3 months ago #420409 by garyrhook
Very good.

So weren't you the subject of an article somewhere, recently? Or maybe I ran across another pointer to your website. In any event, I recognized it immediately.

You still have a ZF site, it seems?  Googling found that.

For me, and with tongue firmly in cheek:

The new one: No one does entry pages anymore. They're considered an unnecessary annoyance. I would also not make the first thing a visitor see be a picture of you. Not that there's anything wrong with you, just that a visitor wants to see what you're about. Not you. Leave your selfie for the About page.

Speaking of which... why don't photographers ever get good photos of themselves? Without the stinkin' cameras. It's so "done". I can easily see a better photo of you that says more about who you are. No one needs to see your, *ahem*, equipment.

Good layout, and the band pics are great, as you well know. The consistency in style and presentation are all good, and are very effective in defining what you're about. I might suggest fewer pics in a portfolio is the first thing a visitor sees. Then let them click through to see more. Less is more, as it were, to start out.

Yes, you're a big boy, and you've clearly accomplished quite a bit. Congratulations on your success (to date!). And again, welcome to PT.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420411 by ColtCoanPhoto
Hey thanks for the reply and the comments!

If I was a part of an article or something, that's interesting! I'll have to look around. It'd be cool to see.

So yes, I do still have a ZF site - I'm letting it run itself out right now. I switched to Squarespace in the middle of my annual subscription out of just pure needing a change.

The intro page has always felt weird, and I have tried it on for the last month or so. I definitely agree as far as it feeling unnecessary. I'll probably end up losing it here soon.

I normally keep it somewhere between 20-25 images per section for my portfolio. The reason I aim for that in general, is because if I have a client wanting portrait work done, I want them to see as many images in that side of my portfolio as a band might see for the live section, and so on. I may look into trimming it though.

Thank you very much on the respectful and constructive comments!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024