Is photography a viable job/career these days?

6 months 2 weeks ago #760344 by isabellasophie
I have no idea as I am just an enthusiast.
But it seems with the internet, dwindling print media and so on, there does not seem many opportunities for young people now.
I guess you could carve out a niche business in weddings,portraiture, product photography etc, but you need business skills and cash to do this.
I ask this because I was chatting to a friend who is a veteran journalist who in recent times is expected to take photos as well. He is a lousy photographer, plus they issue very entry level equipment, he is pulling the pin and becoming a high school teacher.

6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #760345 by isabellasophie

isabellasophie wrote: I have no idea as I am just an enthusiast.
But it seems with the internet, dwindling print media and so on, there does not seem many opportunities for young people now.
I guess you could carve out a niche business in weddings Photographer Matt Roberts ,portraiture, product photography etc, but you need business skills and cash to do this.
I ask this because I was chatting to a friend who is a veteran journalist who in recent times is expected to take photos as well. He is a lousy photographer, plus they issue very entry level equipment, he is pulling the pin and becoming a high school teacher.

thanks in advance for any help

6 months 2 weeks ago #760390 by LensofNature
I am also a hobbyist, but started my own business in another field, and went through self-employment training. My business didn't get off the ground, but from what I learned from self-employment training, the key is to have a viable business idea and unique selling point of differentiation. I am assuming that most photographers who want to be employed in the field are focused on taking photos, so the competition is fierce. At the same time, photo editing software and the digital nature of photography can satisfy the needs of recreational photographers.

However, I believe the key to a successful business in photography is thinking outside the box - looking at areas that are lacking, needs that are not met. For example, many years ago, I booked a personal tour guide-cum-photographer as part of my vacation because I don't have a car, am female and don't feel safe venturing into the wilderness/nature trails alone. It was a wonderful experience, and he even showed me a fossil etched into a rock that not many people knew about. In most recent years, I registered for a day trip offered by a photography instructor which included a carpool to the location, and onsite coaching of achieving the correct exposure. These are the kinds of services that would be very much appreciated by amateurs like me who have additional barriers such as disability and lack of access to transportation. Interestingly enough, there is such a scarcity of such photography businesses.

6 months 2 weeks ago #760391 by Razky

LensofNature wrote: ...  there is such a scarcity of such photography businesses.

i believe there are plenty of photography workshops out there, who would serve the purpose you suggest..

6 months 2 weeks ago #760392 by LensofNature

Razky wrote:

LensofNature wrote: ...  there is such a scarcity of such photography businesses.

i believe there are plenty of photography workshops out there, who would serve the purpose you suggest..

Not in my area; I've searched high and low.  Maybe it's a post-COVID thing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024