Mike Liambas lands a punch

Chicago draws first blood

#9 Mathieu Aubin returns the favor

oops

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #164286 by Bread N Butter
Awesome shots! I never knew they put a rug down to walk on. Doesn't that rug get in the way of the hockey players?

12 years 5 months ago #164421 by icepics
Nice series of shots, you got some great action along the boards and in the crease. Might be fun if dong a long enough essay to throw in a shot of the mascot, intermission entertainment, etc. You do well freezing the action and catching players mid-air.

They roll out the carpet for the dignitaries etc. pregame or sometimes during intermission, then roll it back up and put it away before the game starts or resumes. Having done some of this sort of thing, the photographers aren't usually on the carpet, we're tromping about on the ice, or maybe on the other side of the glass.

Back in the days before glass (even before chicken wire) a photographer could hop out over the boards onto the ice during a stoppage to get a shot with the ol' Speed Graphic.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #164476 by Rob pix4u2
I'd like to have a few camera ports in the glass or the penalty box door

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 5 months ago #164717 by Rob pix4u2
It's early in the season so there will be more "cool shots" coming in the months ahead

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 5 months ago #164721 by chasrich
:judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

I'm curious just how much of the frame do you allow for later cropping. You're shots always seem to be perfectly framed and I know that is partially due to your experience and skill but with the fast action moving in all directions you must allow for a margin of error. I frame up pretty tight for a still sitting bird but once they hit the air I usually allow up to 50% of the frame for empty space.

Great series BTW. Thanks so much for sharing... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #164737 by Stealthy Ninja
Love #3
12 years 5 months ago #164897 by photobod
wowee super series :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #165008 by icepics
More camera ports. :thumbsup:

Charles what would work for me sometimes would be to get set while the action was at the other end of the rink; focus on the net and frame the potential shot using the goalie/net as a point of reference, then wait til the action would move into my frame, adjust the focus as needed (sort of 'Gretzky' style, be where the puck is going, not where it is LOL). Rob I'm sure has some good techniques to share.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165069 by Rob pix4u2
I use panning as well as following the player that I want to get a shot of . I also use the technique Sharon described of "prefocusing" on a certain area of the ice and waiting for the action to come to me. I allow for very little "white space" when working with the 300mm lens as it brings me into the action closely. my crop technique is usually done "in camera" as I shoot the pic.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024