Hockey White Balance?

12 years 5 months ago #164430 by les_stockton
I thought I'd take the time (I always ask other photographers at games) to find out what you guys use to create a custom white balance at hockey games? I've dialed in the color temperature in Kelvin, with moderate results. Auto white balance is terrible (at least with the different cameras I've tried). My best results so far have been using a card to shoot through like the Expodisc, which is a Promaster SystemPro transparent card. I use it to shoot through at a light source, and this gives me a good color white balance. So far, the best results have been with this, but I'm told that there are other things that are even better.
So I thought I'd ask just to see what other hockey photographers are getting good results with.
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #164450 by icepics
I'd have to learn from you, I shoot mostly film. Lighting, that's the challenge, depending on the arena. I figured out in time where the lighting was the best and that's where I'd shoot from. In our arena it was old mercury vapor or something?? - low, that's for sure. I had to figure out what camera settings worked, usually couldn't get a meter reading (needle didn't even move). I was just glad when they cleaned the glass.

Rob will know. I could probably do a series on bad glass I have tried to shoot hockey thru...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #164452 by les_stockton
I've had to deal with glass almost that bad. In some cases, I've managed to hunt around and find some glass that isn't as bad as this. I get there early and usually get management let me walk out onto the ice and attempt to clean the area(s) I want to shoot from.
With a lot of rubbing and a little bit of glass cleaner, I can sometimes do a great job of eliminating the nasty stuff, and sometimes you can hardly notice that I've tried to clean it.
Most of the time, I can get a few inches of clear glass to shoot from, so it's worth the effort.
Corners are the worst, because that's usually where pucks, sticks, elbows (and faces) end up more often than anywhere else.
12 years 5 months ago #164453 by les_stockton
I should add, I've thought about photographing the glass like you did, just to show people what we have to deal with in some rinks. Because people rarely believe us when we try to describe why we do what we do.
12 years 5 months ago #164472 by Rob pix4u2
I meter the ice and set my white balance off of the ice- works most of the time but I do have to do some in post processing too

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #164483 by icepics
I suppose you're right, people wouldn't understand what it's like shooting in local hockey barns. Even when they clean the glass, invariably a puck hits the glass right where you were set to take a picture. Or people are in and out of their seats and walk right in front of you and go 'oh, sorry' - I learned how to shoot with both eyes open! LOL Or a player looms up in front of you or a ref skates by w/his arm up just at the moment you release the shutter.

Some nights I'd just end up entertaining myself taking pictures of the nutty stuff (bad glass, goofy mascots, wacky intermission entertainment, etc).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #164551 by les_stockton

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I meter the ice and set my white balance off of the ice- works most of the time but I do have to do some in post processing too

I recommend get a reference shot using a tool like the Promaster that I use, as I don't have to adjust white balance in post processing very often. It's just that I sometimes wonder if I can do better. I'm told that the Expodisc is better, or the Colorright, but I just am too cheap for that (so far).
I've taken white balance off the ice, but this Promaster card produces better results (for me).
12 years 5 months ago #164567 by Stealthy Ninja

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I meter the ice and set my white balance off of the ice- works most of the time but I do have to do some in post processing too

This is what I would have thought.

As for white balance and colour stuff. Go for the color checker passport (x-rite) and make your own custom profiles for lightroom using Adobe's DNG editor.

That's what I do.
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #164569 by les_stockton
One of these I'll invest the money in Lightroom. I figured there were many ways to get the results I want.
12 years 5 months ago #164716 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks for the advice Les and Adrian

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024