Stopping on a dime

Blocking a shot on goal

CRASH !!!

Incoming puck on net

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #172516 by chasrich
Rob these are stellar. You have me thinking Hockey every time I hear the word Action... The local photo club has a challenge of action shots and I'm looking around for a local hockey game. It's just as well there aren't any close by as I would not like any shots I got - you have set the bar pretty high.

:judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #172518 by Rob pix4u2
Thank you Charles, It pays off after 18 years of toiling in the minors. I always get a kick out of seeing players make the big show ( NHL ) and be able to say that I have shots of them in their first Pro seasons

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 5 months ago #172759 by photobod
what a great essay Rob enjoyed it a lot. :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #172949 by Rob pix4u2
Thank you David I really enjoyed shooting this game and sharing it

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 5 months ago #173398 by icepics
Nice series. Well done as always. You're right Rob it's cool to see the players go on to the next level, quite a few from college level now moving on to the NHL which didn't used to happen too often.

Rich, maybe there are some high school games around? - hockey at a local level usually seems pretty flexible w/people taking pictures (parents with cameras - I'd often get asked if the goalie was my kid LOL). Or a college club team maybe?? intramurals? youth tournaments? We gotta find you a game...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #173517 by les_stockton
I think your shots capture the experience of the game, as if being at the game. I am repeatedly criticized for not "watching my horizons", but I look at the photos and what I see is the spectator's experience. I often become less confident because of that criticism, but then I see photos by other hockey enthusiasts and feel that I'm on the right track. Thanks for posting.
12 years 5 months ago #173705 by icepics
Well this is derailing Rob's thread a bit but I looked at some of your photos Les, didn't notice til you mentioned it but I see some where the horizon is off a bit. Easy to have that happen when you're focused on the player(s) and things are happening so fast you're framing shots pretty quick. (My problem is usually getting a blur because I'm reframing/shooting too fast!)

However, I don't know if whoever's critiqued your shots realizes that since the ice rink is oval, the boards curve and sometimes it can appear that the horizon is off when it isn't. I usually go by the posts along the glass, if you notice in your photos that they're leaning then the horizon is probably off a bit, if they look parallel to the right or left side of your photos then the horizon is straight. That's what I see in some of yours, the posts are straight but the boards etc. may not look straight (because they aren't!!)

I noticed it more in your photos of the OU club hockey, but it looks like a smaller local rink and that and the lens you used could have made a difference (because you were in closer maybe). There's a nearby rink I've been to a couple of times for tournaments where the boards literally lean at what looks to be a 45 degree angle! - maybe not really that much, but it's quite bizarre... local rinks do tend to have boards that lean more than a bigger arena.

You could probably do a bit of straightening in Photoshop, with film occasionally I literally would get an enlargement and crop it to adjust. There's a close-up for example with a player (white jersey) going down the ice where you can see just the edge of the yellow paint along the boards across the top of your photo; all you'd have to do is crop the top a bit. You have some similar to that where just a bit of editing would do the trick.

I often would also try to not have a post right near the edge of my photos, if the posts are further away from the sides of the photo it isn't so noticeable if the horizon is a tad slanted. Tricks of the trade I guess! I know what it's like shooting in an old hockey barn, the lighting's bad and the glass is worse! - a challenge for sure.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #173841 by Rob pix4u2
Charles there are probably local high school or college club hockey games to cut your teeth on and would be worth checking out as Sharon said.
Les I use in camera grid lines to line up my shots when I can ( except when the action is moving too fast ) to keep my horizon level
Sharon I don't mind a bit your hijacking the thread to pass on hard learned advice on shooting- it helps me sometimes too. Chet IS working hard as the 'Clones are in the cellar right now of the North Division.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024