HS Basketball

12 years 5 months ago #181175 by jfoxdrake
These are some of my favorite pics from a recent HS Basketball game. I rented a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L to see if I like it. Let me know what you think!

Janean
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #181187 by McBeth Photography
These are great shots, you have an eye for the action of the game. It looks like the f4 lens is giving you just enough shutter speed to pull off some sharp pics, but they are a little underexposed. If you shot in RAW you could bring these up to exposure perfectly.

Solutions, 1. Double your ISO.

2. Choose a different lens, zoom or prime doesn't really matter but you need to get to f2.8 at least. For basketball, I like to choose primes like the 50mm or an 85mm, with a prime you will pick at least two stops of light more than the f4 lens... thus giving you 4 times the shutter speed when you need it the most.

3. Buy the f4 lens and shoot in RAW and fix every single image in post later. Not fun.

Having said all that let me say that I LOVE the fact that Canon offers a 70-200mm f4 lens, this is a huge hole in the Nikon line-up IMHO. I have the AF Nikkor 70-710mm f4 and really like it but Nikon decided in 1988 that no one really needs a tele f4 zoom.....I disagree.

Like I said, you have a natural eye for the action...A few small tweeks and you are there!

It is what it is.
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #181232 by Rob pix4u2
:agree: :goodpost: Barry you hit it right on

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #181233 by icepics
You did well with the composition and catching the action esp. since you're new at it. The last one has the best color etc. Looks like the others need the most adjustment.

I did my nephew's B-Ball but it's been some years; I used either 400 or 800 ASA/ISO film. Usually I used at least a 1/125 shutter speed which is slow for sports, 1/250 or higher would be better but I was usually in a gym dark enough to not even get decent meter readings and it was too dark to be able to use the ideal settings. (I just learned over time what worked). I'd usually try to open up the lens more for closeups, if I was shooting down the length of the court I'd close down the lens aperture to get more depth of field.

It might take follwing suggestions like Barry's and trying out different settings; I found that different settings worked in different venues with different lighting.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #181242 by photobod
Thats a very in depth review by Barry and he is certainly worth listening too, note that Rob agreed with him and Rob is one of PT's top sports photographers on here, guess what I am trying to say is and taking a long time to get around to it :rofl: I agree with Barry great photos that need a few tweaks, keep posting. :goodpost: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #181263 by john_m

McBeth Photography wrote: These are great shots, you have an eye for the action of the game. I looks like the f4 lens is giving you just enough shutter speed to pull off some sharp pics, but they are a little underexposed. If you shot in RAW you could bring these up to exposure perfectly.

Solutions, 1. Double your ISO.

2. Choose a different lens, zoom or prime doesn't really matter but you need to get to f2.8 at least. For basketball, I like to choose primes like the 50mm or an 85mm, with a prime you will pick at least two stops of light more than the f4 lens... thus giving you 4 times the shutter speed when you need it the most.

3. Buy the f4 lens and shoot in RAW and fix every single image in post later. Not fun.

Having said all that let me say that I LOVE the fact that Canon offers a 70-200mm f4 lens, this is a huge hole in the Nikon line-up IMHO. I have the AF Nikkor 70-710mm f4 and really like it but Nikon decided in 1988 that no one really needs a tele f4 zoom.....I disagree.

Like I said, you have a natural eye for the action...A few small tweeks and you are there!

:judge: :judge: :judge: :goodpost: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 5 months ago #181319 by jfoxdrake
Thanks for the feedback!

I did shoot these in RAW with shutter speed 1/500 and ISO 3200, except the 2nd one was 1/200 and ISO 1600. I have a little bit of room left to raise the exposure, but I definitely want to try another lens with f2.8. I'm worried about shooting at ISO 6400 because of the noise factor.

I really appreciate the advice :goodpost:

Janean
12 years 5 months ago #181345 by rmeyer7
If you're able to get shutter speeds up to 1/500 on these at f/4, you're gonna get some great photos when you use a lens that opens up to f/2.8! :thumbsup:

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #181347 by McBeth Photography

jfoxdrake wrote: Thanks for the feedback!

I did shoot these in RAW with shutter speed 1/500 and ISO 3200, except the 2nd one was 1/200 and ISO 1600. I have a little bit of room left to raise the exposure, but I definitely want to try another lens with f2.8. I'm worried about shooting at ISO 6400 because of the noise factor.

I really appreciate the advice :goodpost:

You're welcome. A 2.8 zoom will help a lot, but don't rule out shooting with a prime lens ..... nearly all of them will get you to f2 and the focus is fast as well. Not to mention that they are much lighter than a 2.8 zoom, the weight factor alone has helped me get shots that I couldn't get with a big zoom.

Happy shooting!

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Having a zoom lens in your bag is like having a jack of all trades. These lenses cover broad focal ranges so you can use one lens for multiple photographic pursuits.

May 28, 2024

Capturing beautiful portraits requires an understanding of compositional techniques (and a lot of other things). In this guide, learn how to master low-angle portrait composition for beautiful results!

May 28, 2024

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024