Hockey Pics of the Day for Friday

12 years 2 months ago #196506 by Rob pix4u2

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #196509 by Darrell
Cool shots !!!

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #196515 by chasrich
Very nice Rob. :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #196592 by Summertime
Awesome pics rob! :thumbsup:

12 years 2 months ago #196640 by petereoin
A nice set of shots.

You may want to change the angle of your shots Or maybe shoot another sports for variety
12 years 2 months ago #196731 by icepics
That last one's really nice Rob. Peter, it depends on the arena, some limit where you can shoot from, and the way some are designed there isn't any ice level access if the seats go right up to the glass. Depends too on the level of play, high school/youth hockey compared to college, the minors; some places you can move around and other places you can only be where they allow you to be, esp. with a camera.

And sometimes they pen the photographers all in one place :lol: - I snapped this quick going by at an NHL preseason game, then an usher motioned to me and I though uh-oh... but he showed me where I could stand for a few minutes. But that was preseason, during regular season I haven't found that there was much in the way of options.

Attachment not found

And whadd'ya mean another sport?? There is no other sport besides hockey!! :rofl: - to us diehard hockey fans anyway. Although I did hear something about a football game Sunday...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #196872 by petereoin

icepics wrote: That last one's really nice Rob. Peter, it depends on the arena, some limit where you can shoot from, and the way some are designed there isn't any ice level access if the seats go right up to the glass. Depends too on the level of play, high school/youth hockey compared to college, the minors; some places you can move around and other places you can only be where they allow you to be, esp. with a camera.

And sometimes they pen the photographers all in one place :lol: - I snapped this quick going by at an NHL preseason game, then an usher motioned to me and I though uh-oh... but he showed me where I could stand for a few minutes. But that was preseason, during regular season I haven't found that there was much in the way of options.

Attachment not found

And whadd'ya mean another sport?? There is no other sport besides hockey!! :rofl: - to us diehard hockey fans anyway. Although I did hear something about a football game Sunday...

Hi Sharon,

I appreciate your comments.

If you are unable to shoot at the boards at glass level I would look for longer glass, some of the photos appear not as sharp as they could be, assume these were cropped a bit. As you can see from my avatar hockey is not the only place where a shooting position is at a premium.

As far as variety is concerned it is the spice of life. By shooting other sports it would demonstrate your versatility and ability to shoot at a high level.

Yes there are other sports other than hockey, I don't believe there is a game everyday.
12 years 2 months ago #196882 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks Sharon for giving your insights in my defense. Peter I work for a hockey publication so it is the only sport that I shoot during October to sometimes June. Some weeks like this one I have 3 games to cover and write stories about. This means that I have a lot of material to share. Some of the pics are shot with an 80-200 F2.8 hand held while also holding a monopod mounted 300mm so I apologize for the not quite as sharp ones. I am shooting in the minors at the ECHL games where the arena dictates where the media can shoot from this means jostling with other photographers and TV cameramen in a small area.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #196884 by petereoin

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Thanks Sharon for giving your insights in my defense. Peter I work for a hockey publication so it is the only sport that I shoot during October to sometimes June. Some weeks like this one I have 3 games to cover and write stories about. This means that I have a lot of material to share. Some of the pics are shot with an 80-200 F2.8 hand held while also holding a monopod mounted 300mm so I apologize for the not quite as sharp ones. I am shooting in the minors at the ECHL games where the arena dictates where the media can shoot from this means jostling with other photographers and TV cameramen in a small area.

My comments were not meant to be offensive, so no point for a defense. I was just stating my observations.

As you say you have a lot of material, then maybe it is your choice in photo selection. I would expect that the publication you shot for would not accept oof shots.

I know my editors and publications I shoot for expect a high and consistent standard, that's what they pay me for, just my two cents.

Hopefully a forum is suppose to be a useful tool for honest C&C where a person can learn from others and improve their skills and not just a place to inflate egos.

Again a nice set of images, but I feel my initial observations are valid.
12 years 2 months ago #196921 by Rob pix4u2
C & C accepted and yes the slight oof shots are not submitted but are put on forum for eval anyway. besides the fact that I need a cornea transplant scheduled for beginning of next month. I'm just trying to improvise , adapt , and overcome as best I can right now

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 2 months ago #196986 by icepics
Peter I didn't think you meant any offense, I was just trying to explain the circumstances here. If I was in an arena where I would be shooting from the stands or an upper concourse level I'd obviously need a longer lens. I don't have too much posted on here and mine are lo res scans.

I wasn't being serious about there being no other sports, for someone wanting to shoot sports of course a variety would be something to consider doing. I'm not shooting hockey nowadays anyway, but sometimes finding your niche can work out. Depends on where you are I suppose, I think it could be harder to find an opportunity covering a local team that everybody's photographing that covering something more specific.

Rob I can tell in your photos that you have the skills in composition etc., and I think a lot of people on the board who follow your sports posts know the out of focus shots are due to issues with your vision but Peter you may not have realized that. Rob I hope your next eye surgery goes well for you.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024