Best camera body for sports photography?

10 years 1 month ago #356223 by gflom
Hello! 
I am in need of some advice. I shoot a lot of action sports photography with my Canon 40d, but that recently with *capoot* with an ever-so-lovely error 99. I've been told recently by a good friend to switch over something more along the likes of a Sony a7 instead of a Canon 6d, which is what I've been looking at. I love the Sony a7 on paper, but was wondering if it will actually prove itself in the field of action sports photography? I know it only has 5fps, and that definitely is cause for concern in my mind.

Would anyone recommend the Sony a7 for someone who primarily shoots action sports photography? What camera body would you recommend? Any help is greatly appreciated!

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #356225 by Stealthy Ninja
NO NO NO A HUNDRED TIMES NO.

Save and Get a 5Diii or a 7D (or wait for the 7Dii to come out later this year... probably).

The AF on the A7 isn't good enough for sports and the lenses they have so far aren't really sports friendly (the 70-200 f/4 OS may be ok later though). Also to get 5fps you have to lock the focus and exposure or something similar.  Not very useful for sports. 

I own a A7 and a 1Dx (which has similar AF to the 5Diii) trust me, you'll regret going A7 for sports (it's fine for other stuff, but NOT for sports).
The following user(s) said Thank You: gflom
10 years 1 month ago #356805 by gflom
Thanks so much for the input,  Ninja. I went to Best Buy and got my hands on the a7 yesterday, and while I definitely liked the feel of it, I couldn't image myself using it for what I normally do with sports. Unfortunately, with my Canon in the can, I am in a definite pickle. Back to square one! Would you suggest the Canon 6d? I know you said something about the 7d, but what about the 6d?

10 years 1 month ago #356825 by Luis Felipe
And the Sony A99?

10 years 1 month ago #356875 by Serge R
First thing: what is your budget? Camera body is one thing but lenses is 2nd and usually more expensive than body if you want decent results.
I've been shooting with canon 6d for a short while (few events) and then with Nikon D300s - sorry, but for me D300s has the best AF system in the whole history of crop sensor DSLRs - fast and very accurate. I shoot lots of motorsport and tennis and D300s is a clear winner for me. D7100 is not as good as older brother (had it for a week and got very disappointed with it). If you want to go further (FX) my choice would Nikon D3(s/x) or D4.

Here are two samples form D300s (both very challenging for AF):

Cheers,
Serge

10 years 1 month ago #356949 by Stealthy Ninja
Do doubt the D300s beats the D7100. I owned a D7000 once and was very disappointed in its AF.

Though the claim Serge made: "sorry, but for me D300s has the best AF system in the whole history of crop sensor DSLRs - fast and very accurate."

Maybe be disputed by some 7D owners ;) Though from what I've read they're pretty similar when it comes to AF.

My advice would be not to change systems for sports. Neither Canon or Nikon are particularly better or worse.
10 years 1 month ago #356951 by Stealthy Ninja

gflom wrote: Thanks so much for the input,  Ninja. I went to Best Buy and got my hands on the a7 yesterday, and while I definitely liked the feel of it, I couldn't image myself using it for what I normally do with sports. Unfortunately, with my Canon in the can, I am in a definite pickle. Back to square one! Would you suggest the Canon 6d? I know you said something about the 7d, but what about the 6d?

My nephew owns a 6D and it's not a bad camera.  HOWEVER, he wishes constantly for better AF.   Thus for sports a 7D or 5Diii would be better.  

Let me tell you a little story.

I owned the 40D as my first camera.  Thought it was OK.  Then I got a 5D II, which was better (similar AF, but better high ISO and such).  I liked the 5Dii so much I sold my 40D and bought a 5D (classic) as a second body.

Then I bought a 1DIV... man the difference in AF was night and day.  I never realised how BAD the 40D/5Dii and 5D were at tracking movements until I got the 1DIV.  

Having a taste for full frame and good AF... and with some convincing from Scotty, I decided to go to NIKON who had a good FF camera (D3s) with excellent AF.  

Loved that move for a few years.  Then started to get back into video (by this time I had a D800e and a D800, both excellent sports cameras if you can put up with the low FPS). Anyway, I own/owned a Canon video camera and my business partner had a Canon X100 video camera too.  We shot an interview with a guy trying combine those two cameras with the D800... big mistake.  The D800's video colour was way off and was a major pain to edit with.  Plus it just didn't look as good as the Canon footage.

So I switched back to Canon and got a 1Dx (and bought the 1DsIII recently as a second camera).  One reason I switched back though is Canon no longer had no FF cameras with good AF.  The 5Diii and the 1Dx changed that. 

LONG STORY SHORT:  Buy a camera with good AF.  Avoid the 6D.
10 years 1 month ago #357085 by Serge R

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Do doubt the D300s beats the D7100.

D7100 AF is worse than D300s - and it's not only me who has this opinion. Tested in the field :)

10 years 1 month ago #357283 by gflom
Serge, thanks for your input, those shots are great. I would love it if I could keep my body budget under $3k and my lens budget under $1200. I know that's asking a lot, and I would love to push the numbers up higher, but at this point and time, as I am in need of an immediate fix, I can't really ask for much more. Thanks so much for your input! I can't really see myself switching camera families right now, as I already have some canon lenses I would like to continue to shoot with, but I will have to continue to do my research on the Nikons.

Thanks!

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #357827 by Stealthy Ninja

gflom wrote: Serge, thanks for your input, those shots are great. I would love it if I could keep my body budget under $3k and my lens budget under $1200. I know that's asking a lot, and I would love to push the numbers up higher, but at this point and time, as I am in need of an immediate fix, I can't really ask for much more. Thanks so much for your input! I can't really see myself switching camera families right now, as I already have some canon lenses I would like to continue to shoot with, but I will have to continue to do my research on the Nikons.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with Nikon, but these days there's no need to switch.

5Diii $3300
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-RE...EOS_5D_Mark_III.html

Tamron 150-600 ($1069)
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013956-R...00mm_f_5_6_3_di.html

That's pretty close to your budget right?

7D is on sale now at best buy apparently (looked it up because you mentioned that company):
Sale: $1,398.99
Reg. Price: $1,499.99
You Save: $101.00
10 years 1 month ago #358047 by Serge R
I agree - no need to switch, but gflom mentioned Sony, so I thought that all possibilities are being taken into the account :)

Stick with Canon - you know its menus, how they work and feel - that's most important thing :)

10 years 1 month ago #358659 by gflom
The 5diii is a dreammmmmm, but a little out of my reach right now. Definitely something I'm saving up for, though. Thanks so much for the input, it is super helpful!

10 years 1 month ago #359111 by Stealthy Ninja

gflom wrote: The 5diii is a dreammmmmm, but a little out of my reach right now. Definitely something I'm saving up for, though. Thanks so much for the input, it is super helpful!

Just buy it.  You don't need to eat. :side:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024