ISO setting advice needed

2 years 4 months ago #728776 by dlgobeavs
I have recently transitioned from coach to photographer/cheerleader for my daughter's indoor basketball games.  I could use some advice on how to take crisper pictures!  I find myself struggling to get the clarity I am looking for, and as a relatively new indoor sports photographer, could really use some advice!

I shoot with a Nikon D610 with a Nikon AF-S 24-70mm F2.8G lens.  Based on some online tutorials, I have been shooting in Manual Mode at 1/1000 shutter speed, F2.8, and what amounts to auto ISO at roughly 6400.

I find that my pictures a somewhat grainy, which I attribute to the high ISO, plus there are definitely times where I would prefer to be shooting a higher shutter speed, which will push my ISO even higher.

So... a few questions:

1. Is there a way to force the camera to shoot at a lower ISO, then fix it in Lightroom afterwards?
2. Is this a lens issue?  Should I be looking for something with a lower aperture than 2.8?  Most of the research I did indicated this should be a great lens for indoor sports.
3. Any tips would be so helpful!!

Example picture attached.

Thanks in advance!!

Dave

Attachments:
2 years 2 months ago #731626 by r1ch
1. Is there a way to force the camera to shoot at a lower ISO, then fix it in Lightroom afterwards?
Because of low light, to get the shot, a photographer may underexpose and increase shutter speed and then in post expose correctly, this allows you to get the shot without blurr at the expense of noise. But it won't help you, you will be adding noise.

2. Is this a lens issue?  Should I be looking for something with a lower aperture than 2.8?  Most of the research I did indicated this should be a great lens for indoor sports.
If you were a Canon shooter I would say EF 135 F2.0.but I see no Nikon equivalent. I own a Sigma 135 F1.8  This lens would buy you another stop and a thrid. ISO would go from 6400 to 5000 shot wide open, but understand your focus better be right on because you will be at a narrower depth of field
3. Any tips would be so helpful!!
You problem is light, you need more. Buy several Flashpoint 600 flashes. Point them at the wall are ceiling near the area you shoot, they are portable and run on battery. Pro photographers put their flashes in the ceiling pointing down.

But all of this seems moot. You got the shot, and you are concerned about a little noise. Go get Topaz Denoise AI, or if you have On1 photo raw 2022 editor, it has a AI denoise as well. Realize you posted a 2 inch high picture and I had to blow it up but with a higher resolution image On1 removed the noise from your picture.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024