Low Light Sports Photography

1 year 7 months ago #743751 by newbie75
I'm looking for guidance on which camera I should get. I'll be mostly using it for taking pictures in gymnasiums for jiu-jitsu/wrestling. I realize that my shutter speed should be as fast as possible but that makes the photos dark. I've played around with the shutter and ISO setting I'd like for the photos to come out better. I currently have a Sony Nex5 which I bought for taking family pictures here and there. It's not the greatest, but I've managed to take almost decent pictures with it using 200mm lens.  Here's one photo - I would like to be able to zoom in more.

My budget is about $1500. I think I'd buy a used mirrorless camera. I was looking at the Sony A7R Mark II or the A7III, but every time I read up on it I feel like there might be a better one for a similar price. I prefer to stay with Sony if possible since I have a couple of the e mount lenses already, but I just recently read about the Olympus OM-D E-M1 that sounds it would be a better camera. It really is super overwhelming. 

I had a Nikon D500 which took beautiful pictures (which was stolen). I didn't use it for sports photography, but any picture I took (without know anything about settings) it came out great. I'd prefer to go mirrorless just cuz it's much lighter, but I would consider dslr if it means the photos would come out just that much better.

Sorry for the ramble. Any information is greatly appreciated. 

Attachments:
1 year 7 months ago #743756 by TCav
In contrast to your question, the camera is not the issue; the lens is.

You need a large aperture medium telephoto zoom lens. For what you want to do, a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens will probably do the trick.

The following user(s) said Thank You: newbie75
1 year 7 months ago #743770 by newbie75
Thank you. I have a 28-200mm :) Still want to get a different camera. Any suggestions on what I should be focusing on?

1 year 7 months ago #743793 by Monica Martinez

TCav wrote: In contrast to your question, the camera is not the issue; the lens is.

You need a large aperture medium telephoto zoom lens. For what you want to do, a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens will probably do the trick.

I think so too. 

1 year 7 months ago #743812 by newbie75
Is 28-200mm 2.8f differ much from the 70-200?

1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #743827 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

There are two sorts of lens design for you to consider
1)- the 'regular' design that as you zoom out to maximum, the aperture alters and gets smaller,
versus
2)- the 'continuous-aperture' design where the maximum aperture remains as-is while you are zooming. This type of lens is used on many professional lenses and often costs double the 'regular' lens type

If you look at the front of your existing lens it will probably show something line ... 28-200mm, and aperture details of "1:2,8 ~ F6,3" for the apertures, meaning that at 28mm you max aperture if F2,8, but at 200mm your best aperture is F6,3

Sports photographers will be using continuous aperture lenses meaning that they can keep shooting at F2,8 to F4,0 sort of thing and therefore keep the shutter speeds high at the same time

If you cannot afford a 70-200 F2,8 "professional" lens then a compromise (which I have and use all the time) is the Panasonic FZ-300 bridge camera, because its lens is a constant aperture design, and the whole camera only costs about $us400 ... about 1/3 the cost of the 'professional' lenses.  What this means is that the camera has an F2,8 lens for the entire 24x zoom range of 18 to 450mm in dSLR terms

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: newbie75
1 year 6 months ago #744846 by newbie75
I thought I had responded to this. Thank you for the explanation. Definitely gave me a better understanding of the lenses. I got the lens, had buyers remorse, but now over it. I'm excited to go and try it out. Now I'll try to learn more about what it can do. Thanks, everyone.

1 year 5 months ago #745903 by Adam Wilson
:judge:  Well done. 

1 year 3 months ago #748141 by Breanna Ellington
Nice action in this shot. 

2 months 3 weeks ago #761124 by newbie75

Here's one of the most recent shots I took using the recommended lens. Much better. Thank you!

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024