IMPORTANT FACEBOOK WARNING!

12 years 5 months ago #170572 by The Time Capturer
A WARNING TO EVERYBODY!!! Facebook has breached the privacy of my cell phone. I heard a quote last night and wanted to remember it for when I woke up, so I sent a text to myself. I then forwarded that text to an email address that's not associated with Facebook. Imagine my surprise when I went on Facebook this morning and noticed that text was now my status. How did it get on Facebook? I was never dealing with Facebook, nor was I logged in with the computer or phone. I'm not worried about what may or may not be seen when using my phone but this is unacceptable and has left me feeling extremely violated. What else are they spying on? I have filed a complaint with the BBB and will be talking to a lawyer later today. I just wanted to warn everyone that has a cell phone linked to Facebook ... assuming it has to be linked.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 5 months ago #170994 by Scout 4x4
Are you sure you did, what you said you did? Maybe you somehow typed this quote in your facebook status using the facebook app on your phone. Not saying you did, but strange things do happen, that people do not remember doing. I just never heard of facebook posting something on someone's wall, which was meant as a text or email. However, there are people who can hack into one's facebook account and cause a whole bunch of trouble.

12 years 5 months ago #171029 by Monster
Doesn't surprise me :owned:

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #171348 by Stealthy Ninja
Lots of apps link to FB. You sure you haven't accidentally approved some app to link your messages to FB or something. Just sayin'
12 years 5 months ago #171445 by geoffellis
This is absurd on so many levels...

I expect you are just going to waste a lot of money on that lawyer. and everything else

You think you can just say Facebook posted something from your email or text and youll win a lawsuit?? Or even start a lawsuit? The burden of proof is on you. This means youll need proof that facebook illegally accessed data and posted it without your permission.

So whos going to do that work? that computer forensic expert you hired of course. He'll take your phone, email account, and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Then youll need that lawyer to request all the access logs on your email account from your email service provider. not to mention all the transmission logs related to your text messages from your cellphone provider. your computer forensic expert will be able to pretty accurately determine who/what/when your facebook account was posted to. but it would help if he had access to your facebook account and any apps that you have given permission to post to your account.

In reality you wont likely be able to convince a government prosecutor to go after facebook on some hearsay. so that means all these costs are gonna come out of your pocket for a civil case. then its gonna be a big disappointment when that forensic expert comes back and tells you that you posted it, or you gave permission to some app to post it... or you cc'd it to the facebook email account... or however you managed to do it.

but maybe youre right... with the hundreds of millions of monthly users facebook has... im sure facebook just decided that your email inbox was just too important not to share with your friends without your permission. cause everyone else who may have had the same issue was either okay with it or hasnt felt the need to complain about it...
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #171528 by icepics
Sometimes enough complaints from enough people can add up (or some persistence from one person can accomplish something). I made several complaints about a company ignoring my opt-outs, on my email page and to the BBB, and they finally stopped using my info. and targeting ads to me. Not related to Facebook, but enough complaints there too might cause some changes - you may not be the only one who's had the same type problem.

I'm not surprised, I don't find Facebook very trustworthy anymore.

I noticed not long ago that 2-3 friend's cell phone numbers showed up on my page and I had no idea why... let them know so they could change their settings or whatever. I never put my cell number on FB (thank goodness).

FB has been terrible at setting defaults to Everyone and not letting users know of changes, so your info. can be public and you wouldn't know it. I had that happen once related to a nonprofit group's page, luckily I caught it quick but I started getting spam emails all of a sudden and realized where they were coming from (I'd changed settings on my page but not on the nonprofit page and the spammers found it quick enough). PITA

Facebook could be a class action lawsuit waiting to happen...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #171627 by geoffellis

icepics wrote: Sometimes enough complaints from enough people can add up (or some persistence from one person can accomplish something). I made several complaints about a company ignoring my opt-outs, on my email page and to the BBB, and they finally stopped using my info. and targeting ads to me. Not related to Facebook, but enough complaints there too might cause some changes - you may not be the only one who's had the same type problem.

I'm not surprised, I don't find Facebook very trustworthy anymore.

I noticed not long ago that 2-3 friend's cell phone numbers showed up on my page and I had no idea why... let them know so they could change their settings or whatever. I never put my cell number on FB (thank goodness).

FB has been terrible at setting defaults to Everyone and not letting users know of changes, so your info. can be public and you wouldn't know it. I had that happen once related to a nonprofit group's page, luckily I caught it quick but I started getting spam emails all of a sudden and realized where they were coming from (I'd changed settings on my page but not on the nonprofit page and the spammers found it quick enough). PITA

Facebook could be a class action lawsuit waiting to happen...

While i dont doubt facebook has its privacy issues... its one thing for them to share something youve posted to them for the purpose of social interconnection... its completely another to accuse them of accessing your private text messages or email accounts and posting recent emails/txts
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #171634 by The Time Capturer
Thank you everyone for your comments, advice and questions about my actions.

First of all, this post was originally intended to warn people of the possibilities when a cell phone is linked to Facebook. Since this was posted to everyone I know, I have learned that I'm not the only one this has happened to.

The lawyer thing was just for advice and to find out where I stand with privacy issues.

I have looked at every setting that I can find in my phone, as well as on Facebook and can find nothing that would allow access to any communication outside of Facebook. To use the App in my phone, I first have to login to Facebook and logout when leaving. Same thing with the computer. I just can't find any possible explanation for this.

For those asking if it was my fault, I have looked into everything that you have suggested and can't find any error in my actions (I am prone to that) but, what I don't understand is I do this sort of thing often ... why was this the only one that was posted?

If anyone has any other suggestions on what may have caused this, please feel free to post them.

Also, hacking is definitely a possibility because apparently, there has been a lot of that on FB recently.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 5 months ago #172582 by The Time Capturer
My sister tells me that Facebook and MSN are now linked. The email address I sent the text to is hotmail, so there's a possible connection. The email address I have associated with Facebook is Yahoo.

12 years 5 months ago #172734 by geoffellis
for chatting yes... but that still doesnt mean they will post any email you receive on your hotmail to your facebook status...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024