The Coffee Shop: A place to relax and hang out.

5 years 1 month ago #634962 by GaryA

Janet Schlage wrote: I'll jump in on this discussion.  What sort of herbs are you growing?  This spring I plan on setting up some space for some herbs.  Any tips on growing some?  Not sure what I'm going to try.  Definitely basil, cilantro, parsley, and more to come when I figure out what is easy to grow.  

Sorta depends where you live as to how well things will grow.  Gary has African Basil, Rosemary, Parsley, Cilantro, Marjoram, Thyme, Savory, Mint, Lemon Balm, Lavender, Lemon Grass, Lemon Verbeana, Sage, Oregano, Fennel and Bay.  Gary has some stuff in the ground and some in pots.  Gary composts and cultivates worms (vermiculture), which he incorporates into all his plantings.  Gary uses a drip system for the pots and depending where in the yard the herbs are planted, the herbs either get watered via sprinklers or buried soaker hoses. The pots w/drip requires the least amount of maintenance work.  While pots are more efficient, soil and water wise ... a planter box or ground/soil have a great room for error.   

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #634963 by GaryA

Otto F wrote: Radishes are pretty easy to grow too, make sure you give each plant plenty of growing space.  

Yes!  It is really easy to plant too close together.  Remember SUN! ... Plenty of SUN!  

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 1 month ago #635058 by GaryA
Buenos Dias 'Talkers.  Sun! ... There is some real, shadow casting, warmth giving Sun hitting the front of Gary's house. There is a trellis across the front of Gary's house and it is tossing a 45 degree shadow across the porch dividing a wall in two, one half in creamy yellow light and the other half in a light shadow.  This is all very good because yesterday, it still seemed like winter, cool and overcast all day.  I have a German photographer friend who vacationed here a few years ago.  He lives in Bonn and he is misses the "California Sun".  He is always saying how our light is soooo much better than the light in Germany.

Maggie and Gary are off into the California light for our morning constitutional.  :)

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635110 by GaryA
A few iPhone shots from the morning walk. 
Make: Apple
Model: iPhone 6 Plus
Lens: iPhone 6 Plus back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
ISO: 32
Aperture: f/2.2
Shutter speed: 1/599 sec
Captured: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 9:19am

Shutter speed: 1/327 sec
Captured: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 9:15am

Shutter speed: 1/706 sec
Captured: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:38am

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #635115 by JaneK

GaryA wrote:

ISO: 125
Shutter speed: 1/4 sec
Captured: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 8:36am
When it rains Miss Maggie thinks she can sleep in. 

It’s been raining off and on all week. We’ve been receiving so much rain lately that one begins to appreciate the drought. 

OMG that dog is soooo cute!!!  Playful pups just remind me of home.  My parents always have had at least 2 dogs running around their home.  How many pets do you have?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635127 by GaryA
Only Maggie, Mary Lou is highly allergic to cats. We have a number of huge Koi, while Gary is fond and extremely protective of the Koi ... they’re not even close to a cat or dog. 

Model: iPhone 8
Lens: iPhone 8 back camera 3.99mm f/1.8
ISO: 320
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:17pm

Miss Maggie reacting to you calling her cute. 

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635129 by GaryA
Miss Maggie is Gary’s second Wheaten Terrier. Cookie was Gary’s first Wheaten. For 14 years Cook was Gary’s best friend. Cook passed a few years ago. Maggie is a year and a half old. 

Model: iPhone 6s
Lens: iPhone 6s back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
ISO: 40
Shutter speed: 1/120 sec
Captured: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 16:35pm

Miss Maggie cleaned up. 

ISO: 50
Captured: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 10:00am

Nearly every single day, Maggie runs through the creek and slides into the mud. 

ISO: 50

Maggie dripping mud. 

Shutter speed: 1/842 sec

Maggie and her best friend Max.

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #635130 by Jackson Rieger
The mud shot is instant classic!  What a great looking dog you have there!

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635137 by Crazyguy
Coffee question for you all.  I have coffee beans in my fridge that are a month past date, are these still good?  They are from Hawaii and good beans.  I just forgot about them.  

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635154 by Hassner
I was told to never to store coffee in the fridge by the local coffee snobs. 
I hope you have link to this:  www.huffpost.com/entry/store-coffee-freezer_n_6923568

I am sure you can still use it, but the taste might not be optimum anymore. I am sure the roasters will tell you to buy new, as it is to their benefit.

I mostly buy in small quantities, that way I buy more often and fresh.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635202 by GaryA

Crazyguy wrote: Coffee question for you all.  I have coffee beans in my fridge that are a month past date, are these still good?  They are from Hawaii and good beans.  I just forgot about them.  

Yes, they should be fine.  A friend who used to own a coffee shop told Gary about aged beans. He had a few sacks of beans in storage which aged for a few years and the coffee was delicious, a different taste to new beans.  Unfortunately, the beans were not aged properly, (he had merely forgotten about the beans), and half of the sacks were lost to rot. The problem with storing the beans in a spot as cold as a fridge is condensation, which will create an environment which invites rotting.  Proper storage for coffee, is an air-tight, opaque container stored on a cool shelf/place.

5 years 1 month ago #635207 by GaryA

Jackson Rieger wrote: The mud shot is instant classic!  What a great looking dog you have there!

Thank you.  Wheatens are wonderful, they're a terrier, but they're not as OCD as your normal terrier.  She is the most overtly loving dog Gary has adopted.  Wheatens are from Ireland and are bred as an all-around farm dog, some herding, some guarding, some vermin hunting.  Maggie is great with kids and other dogs. Wheatens keep their puppy curiosity throughout their live and ... (wait for it) ... they don't shed. 

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635275 by GaryA
This is Cookie, our first Wheaten.  She was amazing, the greatest pooch in the world.

Summer Coif

Cook's Winter Doo

At the beach

Taking a selfie with Gary's daughter.

Cook sticking her tongue at Mariposa.

RIP Cook, you are missed.

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635606 by GaryA
This has been a very busy week.  Playing catch-up:

1) Happy International Women’s Day;

2) Happy Pi Day; and

3) Happy Beware the Ides of March.

5 years 1 month ago #635612 by Chuck Liley
Pi day.  ha ha ha

To bad it wasn't the edible pie.  Blueberry pie sounds pretty good about now

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024