How was this photo taken?

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #1473 by Rocket Man
I found this image in the gallery here and was wondering how it was taken? What lens? How did you set this up for the shot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #4108 by Jorelskid

11 years 9 hours ago #5209 by Billy 9

Rocket Man wrote: I found this image in the gallery here and was wondering how it was taken? What lens? How did you set this up for the shot?

Looks like timing and good old fashion luck was involved in that one.

11 years 7 hours ago #5212 by Yasko
Good youtube video, I tried doing this myself last year. These aren't very hard to do but it takes patience. It's fun though and the results can be stunning. I did mine in the kitchen sink, as the drop rate can be adjusted very consistently. Here's what you'll need:

1. A macro lens, or close focusing zoom lens
2. A metal kitchen sink
3. Off-camera Speedlight flash with the wideangle flap engaged (diffuser is even better)
4. Everything except speedlight mounted on a sturdy tripod
5. Cabled release (optional but helps a lot)
6. UV filter on your lens incase of splash
7. Expect to take a lot of photos. large card needed, especially when shooting RAW

Ok, first fill your sink up. Different levels of water will get you different splash and crown patterns. about 1/2 inch of water gets a crown similar to the picture you posted and requires high shutter speed to freeze the motion. 4 inches gets wakes and bubbles suspended in mid-air. Set your camera on a tripod facing into the sink.

Once the sink is filled to 1/2 inch, gently adjust your faucet until the drops hit about once every 3 seconds. This gives the surface of the water time to flatten out before the next drop hits. Attach a blob of puty to the bottom of the sink and stick a toothpick upright where the water drops hit. Set lens/camera to manual focus and focus on the toothpick. Now that your focus is set, romove puty and toothpick.

Now the fun part. Set your SLR camera to manual, f16 @ 1/2000 second shutter on continuous frame mode. Set speedlight to high speed synch. Set the speedlight power output to maximum. Every three seconds a drop will splash. Time your shutter depressions to right before the drop makes contact. I guarantee one wil be a good capture, just like the crown you posted. Try positioning the speedlight in different positions around the sink. I got decent results both side-lit and directly overhead.

Okay, if you want bubbles and wakes, fill sink up to about 4 inches and readjust drops to about 5 seconds apart (it takes longer for the water to flatten out). refocus with the putty and toothpick trick. you don't need so high a shutterspeed, around 1/400 second and speedlight set to normal output power.

Try placing flat colorful things under the water, or bounce your flash off something colorful like in the youtube video. The colored shots I posted here was a colorful chinese zodiac calendar under the water :)

Milk can give interesting results too....

Have fun

f/16 1/2000 second shutter

with colored chinese zodiac calendar under the water
f/16 1/400 second shutter

Milk,
F/16 1/400 second shutter

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

In my 2021 Bay Photo Metal Print Review, I outline the best and worst features of the print and also offer some insights into Bay Photo's hours, locations, return policies, and more

Oct 26, 2021

If you have a Canon camera, you might have noticed a setting called AI-Servo. In this guide, learn what is AI-Servo, how to use it, and why it's important to learn.

Oct 25, 2021

When ordering a canvas, there are many important decisions to make, not the least of which is the choice between a traditional vs floating frame.

Oct 25, 2021

Blue hour vs golden hour - which is better for landscapes? It's not so much a case of which is better, but how to use their unique features to create a beautiful shot.

Oct 25, 2021

Architecture photography is a unique undertaking, one that allows you to highlight the design and purpose of buildings. Learn how to do that with these principles of architecture photography.

Oct 25, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Not only is this camera harness able to carry multiple cameras, but it's also a cotton camera strap that's hugely comfortable to wear.

Oct 22, 2021

Not sure how to use a light meter? With this guide, you'll learn all about different kinds of light meters and how to use them to create improved images.

Oct 21, 2021