Hot air balloons at night

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #196469 by shelland
There is a hot air balloon gathering this weekend that we'll be attending. One of the attractions is a "night glow" where they fire up the balloons at night. It takes place in a school yard, and there could be as many as 40 balloons. They basically let you walk wherever you want, but it's tough to get too much distance away from the balloons because it's in a residential area.

Any suggestions for the night pics? Manual / AV? What settings to start at? Spot metering? How to lock in a correct exposure with the bright lights?

Any tips to minimize my guessing are greatly appreciated - it never seems like it lasts long, so you have to react relatively quickly.

My equipment:

Canon 60D
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (a week old, and begging for use B) )
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Canon 50 f/1.8
Tripod / cable release

Thanks!

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 3 months ago #196504 by mattmoran
Definitely spot meter on the balloons. Or if you can fill the frame with the balloon it doesn't matter what metering mode you use.

Make sure you check your exposure in the lcd and histogram and compensate as you go.

As for settings, I'm not sure how bright these things are going to be. I imagine you will be pushing the Iso as high as you are comfortable and keeping your lens wide open.

Sounds like an interesting event. Based on what you describe about the large number of balloons in a small space, you are going to wish you had a wide angle lens available. Maybe you can borrow one?

Post some shots afterwards! :cheer:

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #196507 by Rob pix4u2
Scott - as Matt said the wider the better unless you want to get pix of the balloon operators firing up the balloons then your newest tool in the box will be useful. I would also spot meter the the bright areas so you don't over expose them but bracket your shots just to make sure you get a good exposure overall. I would use Manual mode with a wide open aperture as a starting point and on balloons that are close and close down a few stops to get added depth of field to get more balloons in focus. Hope this helps.
Rob

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 months ago #196518 by chasrich
Take me, take me, take me.... Pleeeeease?

This sounds like a really fun adventure that should give you lots of cool photos. I'm thinking you might want a tripod along. Spot metering should work for the exposure. I run a 60D too - do not be afraid to run that ISO way up. It seems to keep the noise at a reasonable level.

We need to see some of your shots when you get back. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 3 months ago #196830 by Vincent
I've never done that before but I think if you are in tight area's that 70-200mm might not be the best lens. I would use that 28-75mm on tripod with your cable release. I bet those balloon colors would photograph very nicely at night. I would start off with ISO around 500 or so, meter off the mid bright lights and see how the exposure works out. Might be something you need to adjust on the fly.

How long does the event last?

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #196894 by shelland

Vincent wrote: How long does the event last?

I believe it normally lasts in the neighborhood of 30 minutes. Each balloon fires randomly to stay up, then every so often they have coordinated fires that last a few seconds.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 11 months ago #228558 by Ron Morrison Photography
A monopod is a must. Also a wide angle lens is best for such close quarters. I shoot at 3200 ISO and adjust my settings for incandesant light, which helps but won't do all that much. You can also take a sheet of paper and adjust your white balance while the balloons are firing up but I'm too lazy to do that and I adjust my shots on Photoshop. Wish I could have helped earlier but you'll have the info for next time.

Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #228559 by Ron Morrison Photography
Great! I hit the wrong shot by mistake. Sorry about that. That is an old shot I took on film and scanned but it didn't come out as sharp as it should have.

11 years 11 months ago #229194 by Studio Queen
So how did you the photos come out?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024