Image Quality

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198109 by Aquaticbob
So I have been taking pictures all my life, and decided about a year ago to make photography a major hobby of mine. I just recently upgraded to a Canon 60D (from a 20D) for Christmas. Now I'm wondering why a lot of my images are turning out in low quality. I shoot in Raw format, and I feel like most of my shots are well composed. Anyways, this picture is taken directly from my camera, and I will give all the info on it (the light was a little low if you are going to point that out, I know).

Dimensions: 1920x1080 (originally, but the site wouldn't let me upload it at that size 5184x2912)
F/11
100 ISO
17mm focal
EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens with B+W UV filter
Any reason for why it looks sooooo poor would be nice (yes, I did make sure my shot was in focus).

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/img1941a.jpg/

12 years 2 months ago #198117 by KCook
The image is too small to judge the focus / sharpness. But, in addition to underexposure, the contrast is low. If you are using Canon's own Digital Photo Professional you can fix that right in the camera by setting the Landscape PictureStyle, or a custom PictureStyle (I suggest base PictureStyle of Standard) with the Contrast bumped up a few notches. If you are using an Adobe editor, then you will need to do the contrast adjustment in post.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 months ago #198118 by Aquaticbob
I will put up another larger size. The image looks as if it isn't in focus, and isn't sharp at all. I usually use photoshop for editing, and I do shoot on the landscape picture style.

12 years 2 months ago #198126 by KCook
The UV filter is in good shape? No hazing? As a check compare to one of your shots with the same lens, but no UV filter.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 months ago #198127 by Aquaticbob
I think it might be my lens. I just took a couple pictures with and with out the filter and they looked the same. With a different lens though, the pictures are slightly sharper, but not extremely sharp. Anyway I can have the pictures be sharper or does that just come down to lens?

12 years 2 months ago #198192 by Henry Peach
I can see the softness. My first guess would be camera shake. The shutter speed was 1/6th. Is your tripod sturdy? Did it get bumped? Are you using a cable release or remote? If you are consistently getting this sort of softness at all shutter speeds, and you are positive the camera is being held secure, then it could be the lens or camera.
12 years 2 months ago #198198 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: I can see the softness. My first guess would be camera shake. The shutter speed was 1/6th. Is your tripod sturdy? Did it get bumped? Are you using a cable release or remote? If you are consistently getting this sort of softness at all shutter speeds, and you are positive the camera is being held secure, then it could be the lens or camera.

:agree: In low light you may have to bump up the ISO. At 1/6th, you definitely need a sturdy tripod and use a remote release or the timer. Possibly even mirror lock up or live view. My 60D with the 18-200 is really crisp.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198239 by chasrich
My first thought was a low quality lens... I was assuming this was a lens used with your other camera but if it was a kit lens... that might be your answer.

I shoot a 60D too. The performance of the body at high ISO is one of the cameras strong points IMHO. Bump that ISO us a bit and try it, then bump it again. You might be surprised at how high you can go before the noise starts to show. Also you need to discover if there is a sweet spot on the lens. Try different aperture setting to see if that effects the image quality.

I understand that you were going for the soft milky look in the water - which you got BTW - but shoot another image at the faster shutter speed then clone over the soft water to the crisp shot... just thinking outside the box for this particular shot.

:judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #198290 by Pud
I also see softness, but overall I think the image is too under expose to really give you input on the quality.

12 years 2 months ago #198347 by Aquaticbob
img834.imageshack.us/img834/2857/img1936hdr.jpg is another version of the same picture with an HDR effect and a couple other edits. I could have done more to that picture but I didn't. I always use a sturdy tripid for my shots too.

I think this picture might provide a better example: img20.imageshack.us/img20/6775/img1974hdr.jpg

12 years 2 months ago #198349 by Darrell
Is this your only lens? sure looks like focus....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #198658 by Henry Peach

Baydream wrote: Possibly even mirror lock up or live view.

Good point. 1/4th to 1/30th is the shutter speed range where mirror movement can be a real problem.
12 years 2 months ago #198662 by Henry Peach
If you rule everything else out (I still think it looks like camera shake), and this softness is a result of the lens it's not just a matter of it being a lousy kit lens, IMO. I'd say it demonstrates a damaged or malfunctioning lens.
12 years 2 months ago #198665 by Henry Peach

Aquaticbob wrote: I always use a sturdy tripid for my shots too.

I'm using the same tripod as I used to use with my 4x5 cameras, which should be overkill for a small format DSLR, and I can still get camera shake. I almost always notice mirror shake if I don't use MLU in the 1/2 sec to 1/60th range.
11 years 11 months ago #226668 by alancru
Does the lens have image stabilisation? make sure it's switched off when on tripod

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024