Food photography "how to" explained - Coffee Bean Orange

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #251866 by Alex
I need to come up with better names for my photos. LOL. So this weekend I managed to put aside some time and mess around with my camera. As mentioned in another thread I've been reading this Plate to Pixel book and decided let's do some food photography this weekend. I took some photos of the set up so that I could share with you.

So here's the gear I used for this shot:

Nikon D800
Nikon 105mm
Nikon SB800
Nikon SB900
Photoflex Triton (this thing rocks)
PocketWizard TT5 & TT1
HarborDigitalDesign 1/4" Quick Spot Grid w/ light orange gel
White backdrop
Sirui T-025 Tripod
Manfrotto Lightstand

So my goal here was to have a frosty white background, roasted brown coffee beans and vibrant color in the orange slices. I picked this coffee cup because of the contrast already going on in the design. With this idea here's what I did:

1. Placed white backdrop inside box, then placed SB-900 flash on it's back facing up in TTL mode (w/Pocket Wizard TT5)

2. Placed white transparent plexiglass on top of box
3. Arranged the coffee beans, coffee cup and orange slices
4. Set up my SB-800 flash on small tripod with 1/4" spot grid and light orange gel as key light pointed at my coffee beans and orange to add some warmth. Shot in TTL mode w/Pocket Wizard TT5

5. Set up the Photoflex Triton with extra small Octodom softbox set to manual 1/2 power as fill light. Connected to camera with sync cord.

6. With the fresh smell of the coffee beans... had to brew up some fresh coffee!

From there I moved around taking various shots, till I found one that worked the best for me. Here's the final photo after I made a few adjustments in Photoshop: Added some contrast, levels adjustment, punched up the vibrance, and high pass filter (thanks for the tip Scotty). Next I'll be printing this next on FinestraArt Pearl Photo paper . By the way if you haven't tried printing on this paper... I highly recommend it!

ISO 100 | 105mm | 1/200 sec | f/20

Putting this tutorial together was fun, I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: pinoldy
11 years 7 months ago #251906 by Meskill
Looked like a fun project

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251972 by icepics
Nice balance to the composition, I like the way the B&W design of the cup balances the brown and white of the beans and the white background.

I do notice some white along one edge of the cup that from the first shot of your set-up looks like it might be from light coming in thru the slats of the window blinds. The crop/framing cuts off some beans just along the edge, not real noticeable but just a bit of a distraction.

I like the splash of bright color of the oranges against the B&W pattern too. Maybe coffee bean orange could be a name for a new interior design theme! - hope you enjoyed breakfast after your shoot.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251981 by EOS Man
I enjoyed this write up also. I don't see what you are referring to icepics with the window blinds? Am I missing something?

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251984 by blinden

--
Bryan Linden
[email protected]
www.FinestraArt.com
www.facebook.com/FinestraArt

www.lindenphoto.net
[img]images/stories/finestraart_signature.jpg

11 years 7 months ago #251988 by icepics
In the second photo (which shows the set-up) it looks like there are stripes on the white table covering - seems like that might be from light coming in thru slats of window blinds (which you can see in another photo) that might be shining in on the cup.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252000 by EOS Man

icepics wrote: In the second photo (which shows the set-up) it looks like there are stripes on the white table covering - seems like that might be from light coming in thru slats of window blinds (which you can see in another photo) that might be shining in on the cup.

LOL I'm lost now, is it located in one of the above shots? I see the set up shots, but don't see what shot other than those you are talking about?

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252058 by icepics
Oh lordy LOL. I started to type a response and then went back and looked again... It's the second photo from the top of the thread - the photo below the one of the flash. There are 'stripes' that appear to be shadows across the top of the white cloth table covering. I wondered if that was what was causing a whitish highlighted area on the cup.

In the third photo you can see the sliding glass door and what looks like blinds, so I think that's what caused the shadows on the table. However in the third photo the shadowy stripes don't appear, which I guess is either because of the more overhead shot or it was taken at a different time of day.

Whew. I'm sorry I ever noticed it. Now I need a cup of coffee, with a big splash of Kahlua in it!

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252066 by Alex

icepics wrote: Oh lordy LOL. I started to type a response and then went back and looked again... It's the second photo from the top of the thread - the photo below the one of the flash. There are 'stripes' that appear to be shadows across the top of the white cloth table covering. I wondered if that was what was causing a whitish highlighted area on the cup.

In the third photo you can see the sliding glass door and what looks like blinds, so I think that's what caused the shadows on the table. However in the third photo the shadowy stripes don't appear, which I guess is either because of the more overhead shot or it was taken at a different time of day.

Whew. I'm sorry I ever noticed it. Now I need a cup of coffee, with a big splash of Kahlua in it!

LOL... those photos I wasn't even concerned about the light coming in. It was the finished shot I was most concerned about. Thanks for the comments!

That drink sounds pretty good :beerbang: I might need to follow!

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252132 by CanonKid
How do you like that Triton flash? I'm waiting for them to go on sale :toetap:

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #252851 by KenMan
Why do you have the white backdrop in the box?

The final photo does look pretty cool, I'm going to try this also. Now if I don't have the Triton, what else can I do for the light provided?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #253028 by Pettigrew
Sharp image. Nice to see you are getting some time behind your camera and not computers. :thumbsup:

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #253664 by Dave Burburry
How long does it take to charge up that Triton and how long will it hold charge when in use?

Nice job on the final image

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254202 by Alex

CanonKid wrote: How do you like that Triton flash? I'm waiting for them to go on sale :toetap:

This thing comes in so handy, Photoflex engineered the heck out of this strobe. If you are looking for something that is powerful and mobile this set up will rock the house for you. It's 300 watts and I want to say has a 185 guide number. And it backs up nicely too.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254344 by Happy-pixel

Alex wrote:

CanonKid wrote: How do you like that Triton flash? I'm waiting for them to go on sale :toetap:

This thing comes in so handy, Photoflex engineered the heck out of this strobe. If you are looking for something that is powerful and mobile this set up will rock the house for you. It's 300 watts and I want to say has a 185 guide number. And it backs up nicely too.

:thumbsup: Thanks Alex. BTW I just sent you a message. Get back with me on that.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024