The process of taking a photo

5 years 9 months ago #589796 by Banceris
Hello,
I'm a beginner and this is my first post here. I don't have any problems with composition, it's the shooting that makes me look at other photographers rather than shoot myself. I'm quite interested in street photography or photography in general, but seeing old footage of pro photographers when they shoot is amazing and at the same time frustrating as hell. It seems like they don't really care about the settings or they adjust them very fast and they usually don't look through their viewfinders. They act almost if it was accidental. 

When I adjust everything, the action is already gone and the potentially great photo is lost. Now I kind of regret getting full manual film camera. 

Also, where to find actually useful info about settings instead of the usual basic "how it works" overview which is the same on every website and doesn't help at all. I think there's more to the settings and what's most important is how they work together.  

I've never thought photography could be that frustrating.

5 years 9 months ago #590060 by garyrhook
Only because you're mixing a lot of things up.

Street photography is one type/style of work, and has it's own requirements that have perhaps nothing to do with other types (portrait, architecture, sports, etc). If you're going to research, you need to focus on one thing.

Most street photographers, if you listen to podcasts and read articles (of which there are many; suggest The Candid Frame) you'll find that many will read the light at a given location, and preset the camera. They already understand their camera and its settings because they've practiced learning those things first. And not just on street photography, but in other situations where they can slow down, practice, learn, try, fail, and learn. Did I say learn? Once the camera is set for exposure, AF will take care of itself if you can point the camera in the right direction. Some try from the hip; others raise the camera to the eye. There's no single answer here.

There is, however, a horse that goes before the cart: learn and practice, practice and learn, in an environment that is controlled. And you start with "how it works", then the exposure triangle (how things work together), and lots of bad shots. Your choice of film to start... expensive. And Cartier-Bresson (look him up) suggested "your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." If I got the quote right without googling. I think I'm somewhere near 80K or 90K shots (about 6 years), and I still have lots to learn.

Camera adjustments come naturally to those that have spent a great deal of time practicing with their equipment. It sounds as if that's the first lesson to learn: hours of practice.

As for the hipster-ish manual film camera... meh. A cheap digital DSLR will get you farther faster if you put in the time to practice. IMHO.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590073 by KCook
Excellent post by Gary. Novices often put way, way too much emphasis on determining the precise ideal camera settings. For landscape or still life shots you may have all the time in the world to fuss over settings. But street photography is the opposite, time is usually fleeting, at best. For the street I usually preset the exposure. And once that is done, I forget all about it, concentrate entirely on finding and capturing promising shots. I may also preset the manual focus, usually called zone focusing. One more factor I can then forget about. And yes, often I do not use the viewfinder. As I am trying to be discreet and holding the camera up to my face gives away the game. With a wide angle lens you can often (not always!) simply point the camera in the direction of the subject and fire away. Of course you will have to crop later to clean up the framing.

There are several techniques that will work for the street. The preset and pray method I described above is only one. You just have to experiment with them yourself.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 9 months ago #594119 by fmw
Any subject that changes quickly used to be dealt with by presetting the camera so the photographer could point and then shoot.  These days, the camera can be set up to get reasonable results with an auto point and shoot mode.  That way the photographer can concentrate on framing and timing.  I don't think it is any more complicated than that.

I think the hardest shoot I ever did was for an oil manufacturer who made products used by motorcycle racers.  They sent me to a race and asked me to shoot bikes coming over a high jump.  I had to catch them at the height of their travel through the air.  I didn't have to worry about exposure, that could be set up ahead of time.  I didn't have to worry about focus because I used an autofocus camera (Nikon F5.).  But framing and timing were very challenging.  Some of my best shots were of motorcycles that didn't use the clients oil.  Who would have guessed?  I did get the job done but it was very hard.  Be prepared.  Know what you want and do what you need to do to get it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024