Photo sharpness

3 years 5 months ago #698361 by meganhaderphotography
I'm on my 2nd Nikon camera that has 24 megapixels and I shoot RAW so I can do more editing. I've got a weird question though.  I was going through some older photos trying to find different entries for some contests and I kept coming across photos that at full size, 4,000 by 6,000 pixels approximately, are not tack sharp, bordering on blurry with some.  However, at half the size or even a little smaller, they look nice and sharp.  When aiming for taking sharp photos, should I worry if they aren't tack sharp at the full size of 24 megapixels? And are professional photographers able to get their photos tack sharp at the full megapixel size? The reason I ask this is whenever you watch a pros videos on YouTube their photos always look perfect but they don't show you them at their full megapixel size so it's hard to know if they were perfect to begin with or if they became perfect after editing. Thanks for the advice!

3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #698364 by Nikon Shooter
This shot, taken this week when I was just having a break at the marsh,
was capture with a D850 + 600 mm ƒ4 combo. The resolution is 8256
x 5504 px. It is the full RAW with Auto WB and just the DRL (Dynamic
Range Levels = black and white points settings) applied.

***The two red oval are confirming that it is always the same file and
at what enlargement it is viewed.

Before crop, viewed to fit the working window of the app on my screen.

Once cropped to my intent and fit to the app's screen yields this:

Seen at 100% : 300 ppi

Seen at 200% : 150 ppi

Seen at 300%

Seen at 400% : 75 ppi. This is +/- the resolution of billboards meant to
be seen yards and yards away… ultimately, that's really what counts.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #698374 by Piechura
Yeah, I usually find that if you've done everything right, they should be sharp fully zoomed in. There might be all sorts of reasons why not though. Slow shutter speed, unsteady hands, not using the lens' sharpest aperture (or focal length for a zoom). One time I took a picture of a building I photographed a few times before and noticed that it wasn't sharp fully zoomed in, and realised I was shooting at f22, which apparently reduces sharpness (which is presumably why landscape photographers stack their focus at something like f8 rather than going for a really narrow aperture).

3 years 5 months ago #698376 by Nikon Shooter

Piechura wrote: y… which apparently reduces sharpness…

Correct.

ƒ 22 will increase the DoF but the critical sharpness
will be loss through diffraction.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #698384 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

A most impressive series of enlargements  :thumbsup:

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 5 months ago #698393 by db3348
Wow NS,  amazing images .

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #698402 by Nikon Shooter
Greetings down under and thank you gentlemen! :P

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #698448 by Nikon Shooter

meganhaderphotography wrote: When aiming for taking sharp photos, should I worry if they aren't tack sharp at the full size of 24 megapixels?

Tack sharp is possible — whatever the resolution — and
should be reached.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700688 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: This shot, taken this week when I was just having a break at the marsh,
was capture with a D850 + 600 mm ƒ4 combo. The resolution is 8256
x 5504 px. It is the full RAW with Auto WB and just the DRL (Dynamic
Range Levels = black and white points settings) applied.

***The two red oval are confirming that it is always the same file and
at what enlargement it is viewed.

Nikon Shooter, was this shot using a tripod? Maybe a silly question but I'm basically still a beginner so... curious.

3 years 4 months ago #700702 by Nikon Shooter

Esseff wrote: Nikon Shooter, was this shot using a tripod? Maybe a silly question but I'm basically still a beginner so... curious.

Ooooh yes!
A 4section CF series 5 with gimbal on levelling plate,
the darn thing is too heavy to hand shoot with it.

A student took this during a mentoring session…

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700712 by Khelm
the lens is holding the camera?  How does this not cause any issues?  The camera and battery pack aren't exactly light.  I've only used primes so I have never even thought about it/researched this before

3 years 4 months ago #700715 by Nikon Shooter
This lens IS a prime!

The pro body of magnesium alloy is well capable of supporting
its own weight but wouldn't dare suspend that lens to it.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700730 by Khelm

Nikon Shooter wrote: This lens IS a prime!.

:blink: :blink: :blink:  Oh!  

3 years 4 months ago #700739 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, it is. The definition of a prime lens is having a fixed
focal length vs zoom lens.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700764 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Esseff wrote: Nikon Shooter, was this shot using a tripod? Maybe a silly question but I'm basically still a beginner so... curious.

Ooooh yes!
A 4section CF series 5 with gimbal on levelling plate,
the darn thing is too heavy to hand shoot with it.

A student took this during a mentoring session…

Very nice. I never used a tripod before and only bought my first one about three months ago. I thought I'd buy a cheapie off ebay just to see how useful it is. And yes it is useful, although my one has plastic mounting brackets to hold the camera, so not very stable. Kinda regret not spending more on a better quality one.

Also, I like how your tripod can float on water. So light. Must be a dream for hikes.  ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024