Need some help with outdoor lighting while doing portrait photography

13 years 6 months ago #2945 by Gabriel Photos
Hi everyone. Just signed up here.

I have been working on getting my foot into the photography industry and have been taking portraits of people from around my town. Generally speaking I don't earn much, it's mainly for the experience right now. Any way I was wondering what can I do to enhance portrait lighting for outdoors? Would a diffuser or softbox work?

My set up currently is:

Nikon D80, SB600 flash, 10.5mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm VR, 18-105mm oh and a 50mm.

What would be a good next purchase? Diffuser, softbox, or ??

Thanks for the help.

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #2952 by Joe Photo Daddy
I would suggest reflectors they can really enhance images, and they are relatively inexpensive also. You can get 5 in 1 reflector that include silver, white, black, gold and a diffuser as well.

Unless you get a stand for this, you may need someone to help you place and hold it for you though. Depends on how windy and the situation.

Good luck!

13 years 6 months ago #2967 by flyingv
I agree relfectors will be a great help, they will give you that perfect balance of outdoo lighing. Good luck with all your photography.

13 years 5 months ago #6382 by Myfairephotos
I shoot a lot of events and portraits outdoors. I try never to need to use flash unless it is absolutely necessary for fill because of shadow such as the person is wearing a hat. Since most of my shoots are done at venues, I need to travel light because I'm walking around for 7-8 hours. If you find you need to use fill lighting, a softbox diffuser on your pop up or hot shoe flash will work wonders.

13 years 5 months ago #6388 by herbg
Definitely get a diffuser for your SB600. They are cheap and make a huge difference, especially for event photography. When shooting events, I prefer having an assistant with me. They hold a diffused flash mounted on a monopod. This get's the flash off the camera and gives much more pleasing light.

I agree that a good reflector can help tremendously with outdoor portraits. You can even get a holder for a light stand so you don't need another person to hold it.

In lower light situations where you need to add more light, a good start for portraits would be a light stand and umbrella. They can be had for not much money and it gives you soft light with decent control. Some umbrellas are convertible from shoot thru to reflector so it offers a lot of variety. A softbox is the next step up from the umbrella. It gives you much more control of the light. But don't go too small with the softbox. Remember, the larger the light source the softer the light. With the SB600, something in the 24" range should be a good start.

Just remember that these light modifiers dramatically effect the light output of your flash. So your going to have to have to adjust for that. Also, don't expect something like a SB600 to overpower bright daylight. You need much more power in those situations.

13 years 5 months ago #6398 by rprphoto
I'm with the first few people who have replied. Learn to use that one big FREE light in the sky and fill in with reflectors. You'll be much happier with the results :)

13 years 5 months ago #6476 by PhotosGuy

rprphoto wrote: I'm with the first few people who have replied. Learn to use that one big FREE light in the sky and fill in with reflectors. You'll be much happier with the results :)

I agree. Here's an excellent example of what you can do with a cam, lens, & the right natural light with manual exposure. A couple shots have flash fill. Notice the detail in the black coat & white boa.
Angeline outdoors

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024