advice or tips please

11 years 1 week ago #3789 by tommygrl
Hey all. Recently bought a Canon XS to make the transition from Point and Shoot to a DSLR. I bought a few very basic shoot through umbrellas just to have some fun with in the house. With winter coming, my days of roaming the neighborhood to practice are limited so I thought it would be fun to have my poor children become my victims. Anyway...I am a beginner. I am learning. I've read countless books and watched tutorials for hours. And I am completely at a loss with indoor lighting. My subject is lit up like a Christmas tree! I have tried single lighting, multiple lights, and reflectors and all with the same results....DARK DARK DARK or the shutter speed is so incredibly slow that even with a tripod it isn't practical. In one of the many videos I watched it was mentioned that a shutter speed of 1/125, ISO of 100 and F4-5.6 should yield good results. Ha!! You can't even see my kid! I am thinking I missed something fundamental here and am probably embarrassing myself by even asking. But I'm desperate! Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 week ago #4005 by Gil
I learned from reading about flash and strobes the best setting to get use to using is Manual mode. I generally use one to three Canon flashes. One being the Master (on camera shoe) and the others as slaves. You did not mention which flash units you were using bit the Canon flashes will "talk" to the Canon camera.
Sounds like you have been to a lot of flash sites but this may help a bit more:

www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/flashfaq.htm

Pages and pages could be and have been written on EOS flash shooting. Before trying "Manual" mode you should still be able to get some decent flash shots in "Program" mode. This would allow the camera and flash to basically figure things out. If you are shooting straight flash things may be too bright. Bounce flash needs to be compensated for by increasing flash output and a diffuser also needs compensation. While I normally shoot in Av mode, it is not that good of a mode for indoor shooting but can be used with fill flash outdoors.
Read your flash manual and make sure the settings are correct and that goes for flash settings on camera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

Latest Articles

In my 2021 Bay Photo Metal Print Review, I outline the best and worst features of the print and also offer some insights into Bay Photo's hours, locations, return policies, and more

Oct 26, 2021

If you have a Canon camera, you might have noticed a setting called AI-Servo. In this guide, learn what is AI-Servo, how to use it, and why it's important to learn.

Oct 25, 2021

When ordering a canvas, there are many important decisions to make, not the least of which is the choice between a traditional vs floating frame.

Oct 25, 2021

Blue hour vs golden hour - which is better for landscapes? It's not so much a case of which is better, but how to use their unique features to create a beautiful shot.

Oct 25, 2021

Architecture photography is a unique undertaking, one that allows you to highlight the design and purpose of buildings. Learn how to do that with these principles of architecture photography.

Oct 25, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Not only is this camera harness able to carry multiple cameras, but it's also a cotton camera strap that's hugely comfortable to wear.

Oct 22, 2021

Not sure how to use a light meter? With this guide, you'll learn all about different kinds of light meters and how to use them to create improved images.

Oct 21, 2021