advice or tips please

10 years 2 months ago #3789 by tommygrl
Hey all. Recently bought a Canon XS to make the transition from Point and Shoot to a DSLR. I bought a few very basic shoot through umbrellas just to have some fun with in the house. With winter coming, my days of roaming the neighborhood to practice are limited so I thought it would be fun to have my poor children become my victims. Anyway...I am a beginner. I am learning. I've read countless books and watched tutorials for hours. And I am completely at a loss with indoor lighting. My subject is lit up like a Christmas tree! I have tried single lighting, multiple lights, and reflectors and all with the same results....DARK DARK DARK or the shutter speed is so incredibly slow that even with a tripod it isn't practical. In one of the many videos I watched it was mentioned that a shutter speed of 1/125, ISO of 100 and F4-5.6 should yield good results. Ha!! You can't even see my kid! I am thinking I missed something fundamental here and am probably embarrassing myself by even asking. But I'm desperate! Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 2 months ago #4005 by Gil
I learned from reading about flash and strobes the best setting to get use to using is Manual mode. I generally use one to three Canon flashes. One being the Master (on camera shoe) and the others as slaves. You did not mention which flash units you were using bit the Canon flashes will "talk" to the Canon camera.
Sounds like you have been to a lot of flash sites but this may help a bit more:

www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/flashfaq.htm

Pages and pages could be and have been written on EOS flash shooting. Before trying "Manual" mode you should still be able to get some decent flash shots in "Program" mode. This would allow the camera and flash to basically figure things out. If you are shooting straight flash things may be too bright. Bounce flash needs to be compensated for by increasing flash output and a diffuser also needs compensation. While I normally shoot in Av mode, it is not that good of a mode for indoor shooting but can be used with fill flash outdoors.
Read your flash manual and make sure the settings are correct and that goes for flash settings on camera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

The Fujifilm X100v is the latest in the X100 series of compact cameras. Does this new version improve on its predecessors? Find out in this in-depth review.

Dec 31, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Processing landscape photos takes a good amount of time and effort. By educating yourself on tips for processing landscape photos, you can make the most of your editing time.

Jan 14, 2021

I got my first metal print from Printique about six weeks ago. In this Printique metal print review, learn why this might be the best metal print I've ever gotten.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these highly effective real estate photography tips to take better images of properties that help improve its chances of getting sold.

Jan 13, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

Use these photography ideas to find your creativity, get organized, and utilize your time at home wisely.

Jan 12, 2021

Cropping in photography is much more than resizing an image. Instead, learning how to crop landscape photos can greatly impact the quality of the composition.

Jan 12, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

There are plenty of camera settings for beginners to learn. However, these important camera settings should be at the top of your list.

Jan 08, 2021