Macro filters on NON fixed focal length lenses?

11 years 5 days ago #4512 by Overread
I found these macro filters and was wondering can these be used on non fixed focal length lenses? Everything that I found says or suggest using these with a fixed lens. Can these be used other wise?

Cheers and thanks!

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 5 days ago #4521 by jrjohns2
Should be usable on any lens as long as it fits the mount, its just a convex lens in a filter mount, so dont expect much. Youll get the magnification but those filters are usually pretty low quality, If youre looking for a cheap macro look for old manual focus lenses with no electronic hookups, I got a super sharp one from keh.com for 50$. You can also get a reversing ring for 15$ or so, the only downside to those is completely manual exposures

11 years 1 day ago #5030 by Overread

jrjohns2 wrote: Should be usable on any lens as long as it fits the mount, its just a convex lens in a filter mount, so dont expect much. Youll get the magnification but those filters are usually pretty low quality, If youre looking for a cheap macro look for old manual focus lenses with no electronic hookups, I got a super sharp one from keh.com for 50$. You can also get a reversing ring for 15$ or so, the only downside to those is completely manual exposures

Thanks for the reply. So if manual exposure, how are you metering for correct exposure? Do you have a secondary light meter?

Photo Comments

11 years 1 day ago #5041 by Screamin Scott
You can use the LCD/Histogram to fine tune your exposure. Sunny 16 will get you in the ball park. Handheld meters are OK for general photography but are not very good for macro..I shoot totaly manual for all of my macro (I have 4 different "true" macro lenses-sample photos in my gallery). It's not hard to do. I moderate a photo group on Flickr devoted to using the older MF lenses on Nikon DSLRs. As for the "macro filters", there are two different types. The cheap ones you see in sets of +1,+2,+4 are single element (called diopter) & aren't very good,only sharp in the center & lots of CA...There are others that have 2 elements (dual diopter) that give much better results but still not as good or convient as a true macro lens. Canon makes a dual diopter lens (500D) that is really nice & comes in assorted filter sizes. Nikon has the 3T,4T,5T, & 6T. They can only be found used as Nikon no longer makes tehm the 3T/4T are 523mm & the 5T/6T are 62mm...There are others (Olympus Mcon-35 is another) so be careful to make sure you get the dual diopter version if you go this route.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

Latest Articles

In my 2021 Bay Photo Metal Print Review, I outline the best and worst features of the print and also offer some insights into Bay Photo's hours, locations, return policies, and more

Oct 26, 2021

If you have a Canon camera, you might have noticed a setting called AI-Servo. In this guide, learn what is AI-Servo, how to use it, and why it's important to learn.

Oct 25, 2021

When ordering a canvas, there are many important decisions to make, not the least of which is the choice between a traditional vs floating frame.

Oct 25, 2021

Blue hour vs golden hour - which is better for landscapes? It's not so much a case of which is better, but how to use their unique features to create a beautiful shot.

Oct 25, 2021

Architecture photography is a unique undertaking, one that allows you to highlight the design and purpose of buildings. Learn how to do that with these principles of architecture photography.

Oct 25, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Not only is this camera harness able to carry multiple cameras, but it's also a cotton camera strap that's hugely comfortable to wear.

Oct 22, 2021

Not sure how to use a light meter? With this guide, you'll learn all about different kinds of light meters and how to use them to create improved images.

Oct 21, 2021