Smoke Photography made simple

13 years 4 months ago #7927 by PhotographyTalk
Another excellent video by our UK friends "PhotoGavin", this one is another rainy day have fun inside sort of idea. In this video he walks you through some very creative steps in taking photos of smoke. Worth the watch!

13 years 4 months ago #8023 by Hamtastic
Looks like this might be a fun one to try, thanks :)

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8052 by DBoucher Photography
Thank you for sharing this - I have done some smoke photography, but picked up some tips from the video :)

13 years 4 months ago #8090 by mikenco
I love this guy's vids. Very informative and inspirational to the hobbyist like myself.

13 years 4 months ago #8171 by P51
Thanks for sharing this. I might need to give this a shot. :cheer:

13 years 4 months ago #8224 by Pulp Fiction
This was a keeper, anyone try this yet?

13 years 4 months ago #8337 by One Wish
Couple questions:

1. What lens is he using?

2. What size bulb is the one that is directly on the smoke?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8586 by Street Shark
Anyone try this yet?

Looks interesting, curious on how this worked out for general photographers. AKA - the hobbyist! :whistle:

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8593 by Monster
I tried this last night and my camera was not picking up the smoke. I think I might need to get a brighter bulb. I'm going to try this again later this weekend.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8599 by mikenco
Brighter bulb? The lamp should only be used for focussing. It's the cameras own flash that illuminates the smoke.

13 years 3 months ago #10052 by Simon Says
Alex have you tried this one yet?

13 years 3 months ago #10197 by PhotographyTalk

Simon Says wrote: Alex have you tried this one yet?

I have and will be posting my photos soon, I still need to play around in Photoshop and invert the colors and such. ;)

13 years 3 months ago #10362 by crystal
I've done some smoke photography before, but never a set up like this. I should try it out this way, I would probably have better photos. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024