Light, composition, or subject. Landscape Photography

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #91417 by Karl Wertanen
For me, this article by Tim Parkin reflects how discipline is what creates the best landscape photograph. You can have good light, good subjet, poor composition.... or poor light, good subject, good composition.... or good light, poor subject, poor composition or differnt combinations of these...... With one of these three missing and all 3 don't come together, you loose the photo.

Good light takes planning and patience, good subject takes planning and the effort and patience to search out the right subject to photograph, and composition is something that is a little harder to come by. Composition takes lots of practice, visual study of lines, shapes, an textures, and a certain vision that is usualy constructed and formed from with in ones self. I believe composition is more on the "art" side of things and what makes a photographer an "artist", and in my humble opinion, and as the writer of the article believes, composition is the key.

After you master composition, and when you can put all these ingredietns together, and you get that 1 stunning photograph that's so hard to come by, and you can repeatedly bring all 3 together, i think it can all be directly related too, and summed up in one word. It might be something different for other people, but for me the word is "discipline". If you dont have that discipline, you'll end up with one or more of the combinations described and shown in this article, and a slightly subpar photograph that feels like it's just missing something....

For me, discipline in realtion to subject is scouting out your shot, even if that means returning to the same place multiple times. Discipline in relation to light is getting up early enough in the morning to set up that perfect shot and having the patience to wait for the right light before you snap ta single picture.... even if that means you dont take a single shot because the light didnt happen. Discipline in composition is always using a tripod and fine tuning every technical aspect of the subject in front of you and strategicly placing it in your frame. Discipline is taking a small series of pictures when everything comes together instead of 600 pictures over the course of an hour.

If anybody has anything else to add to this, or if i left anything out, please feel free to add it. There are alot of skilled photographers on this site who i know have very valid points and visions to contribute.

Sorry for babbeling on and on lol, my mind got away from me. :silly:
Here is the article.
www.landscapegb.com/2011/06/light-compos...ontent=Google+Reader
12 years 11 months ago #91419 by Nikonjan
:goodpost: I agree. I have the problem with not being at the right place at the right time, mainly because when you travel you don't have the luxury of timing what you want to see and being there at the right time and place. I wish I could, I regret a lot of shots I could have had . So I do what I can and create with my software.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #91429 by mj~shutterbugg
:goodpost: :agree: and this is why I am still a student. I lack discipline. I lack it in most areas of my life as well. If I could wish for one trait it would be self discipline.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 11 months ago #91431 by Nikonjan

mj~shutterbugg wrote: :goodpost: :agree: and this is why I am still a student. I lack discipline. I lack it in most areas of my life as well. If I could wish for one trait it would be self discipline.

:agree: I have the problem of not getting up early for morning shots.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #91443 by McBeth Photography

Nikonjan wrote:

mj~shutterbugg wrote: :goodpost: :agree: and this is why I am still a student. I lack discipline. I lack it in most areas of my life as well. If I could wish for one trait it would be self discipline.

Ditto! Me too!

It is what it is.
12 years 11 months ago #91455 by Rob pix4u2
My father taught me at a young age that getting up early to get the shot is as important as being in the right place and using a tripod. I have kept this in mind on all of the location shoots I have done when travelling. this has resulted in being in the right place at the right time with the right tools for the shot. We generally plan for the shoot and take breakfast along so that we have something to do until the light is right for the shots we want.

Hope Y'all enjoy these samples of the early morning pix we have gotten out of bed to shoot

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #91571 by MLKstudios
It most definitely is a discipline. And how you feel about your work translates to how others will feel about it.

HP posted a Stieglitz quote on another thread. To paraphrase: Doing it (photography) because you love what you do often creates better images than possessing the "pro" monicker.

I totally agree that composition separates a good from a great photo. However, I teach the "rules" of composition later in my program so as not to stifle one's own sense of "balance". I find when you cover the "third rule" too early, they (my students) tend to shoot EVERYTHING using it, when it isn't always the best choice. I'd rather see them evolve using their own visual sensibilities than weighing them down with "rules" early on.

But, I do cover them eventually as they DO WORK most of the time.

Matthew :)

PS it takes them ALL to make a great image -- light, comp AND subject -- and timing, and hard work, and sometimes luck.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #91609 by Baydream

McBeth Photography wrote:

Nikonjan wrote:

Ditto! Me too!

The getting up early gets harder all the time, but Rob has shown us the value. here are my contributions.

That said, composition is the number one item to learn about photography. Most cameras can make an educated guess at settings but CAN NOT compose a shot. So learn to "look" at the world through that rectangular "hole" and you will get better photos sooner.
Artists in other disciplines learn this concept early in their training.
Some may teach the mechanics first but until you grasp composition, you will never get those great shots.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hugo Luz
12 years 11 months ago #91633 by Rob pix4u2
great shots john and yes composition is sometimes the hardest discipline to learn.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #91635 by MLKstudios
Don't forget that breaking the rules of composition works too. Following them tends to lead to a typical landscape, seascape or whatever. Breaking them can lead to something even more creative.

Take a look a Leiter's work on Vimeo.

Another 2¢ :)

vimeo.com/18304674

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #91639 by Rob pix4u2

I broke the rules in this shot of South Park Colorado and in the next shot used them for two totally different looks to the composition

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago #91667 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

I broke the rules in this shot of South Park Colorado and in the next shot used them for two totally different looks to the composition

Good point. The secret is knowing WHEN to break the rules.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl Wertanen
12 years 11 months ago #91693 by Karl Wertanen
I just realized that i didnt finish my thought on the first paragraph... lol :silly: :slapface: , i just put in the final sentence that was missing... i think you all got what i was trying to say though.
12 years 11 months ago #91751 by Baydream

Karl Wertanen wrote: I just realized that i didnt finish my thought on the first paragraph... lol :silly: :slapface: , i just put in the final sentence that was missing... i think you all got what i was trying to say though.

From the discussion, I would say you got your point across - and started a darn good thread.:thumbsup:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl Wertanen
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #91803 by Karl Wertanen

MLKstudios wrote: It most definitely is a discipline. And how you feel about your work translates to how others will feel about it.

HP posted a Stieglitz quote on another thread. To paraphrase: Doing it (photography) because you love what you do often creates better images than possessing the "pro" monicker.

I totally agree that composition separates a good from a great photo. However, I teach the "rules" of composition later in my program so as not to stifle one's own sense of "balance". I find when you cover the "third rule" too early, they (my students) tend to shoot EVERYTHING using it, when it isn't always the best choice. I'd rather see them evolve using their own visual sensibilities than weighing them down with "rules" early on.

But, I do cover them eventually as they DO WORK most of the time.

Matthew :)

PS it takes them ALL to make a great image -- light, comp AND subject -- and timing, and hard work, and sometimes luck.

I think what i'm getting at is that light and subject can be learned and composition is more of an organic "vision" that comes from, and develops from within. I think composition can be taught only to a certain point. Not everybody sees the same way (when following the same compositional "rules"). For some, that inner vision comes naturally, and others can go half a lifetime before they begin to "see" in their own vision.You look at many of the greats and you can see certain patterns, characteristics, or a certain personality in their work that actually adds the artists signature w/out the artist actually signing their work. I guess what i mean is, that it is through composition, that the photographer (artist) makes a photograph more than just a photograph. I think that "vision" is truly human and an organic atribute.

I do understand what you mean when you mentioned "they (my students) tend to shoot EVERYTHING using it". I can definitely see that happening. I think that when that vision begins to form, it's the most rewarding to replicate and fun to play with , and when learning, it's too easy to fall victim to that "tunnel vision" and not not pay as much attention to the lighting and subject technicalities of taking a photograph. good point :cheers:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024