30 Days of Tuscany- Day 22- VIEW OF VAL D' ORCIA

10 years 8 months ago #293513 by Tuscan Muse
This is a view of the Val d' Orcia as seen from Seggiano, Tuscany.

tuscanmuse.com/

Attachments:
10 years 8 months ago #293517 by garyrhook
It's unfortunate that this wasn't a raw file. It could be quite nice after removing the blue cast and working to bring out details in the clouds. (And leveling the horizon.) I really like the shapes and colors of the fields/trees.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #293518 by Don Fischer
Gotta know, how can you tell it's not a raw file?

10 years 8 months ago #293519 by Tuscan Muse
Thanks for taking a look Gary. As you probably know, I am an amateur. Post processing is a booger for me. All I did to this photo was done in PS- I took Vibrance to 30 and Saturation to 12. That's it. So you are recommending that I fiddle with the color balance to remove the blue cast. I really want to understand why I would want to do that.

Thanks!
10 years 8 months ago #293539 by garyrhook
Unfortunately, there's only so much that I can do with this smaller, already-manipulated image.

I tried to undo the blue cast by adjusting temperature and tint; added a graduated filter of the sky to lower the exposure / bump the clarity to bring out the details in the clouds (including that hole in them), bumped the overall contrast, a bit of clarity to bring out the details in the land, straighetened it a bit (based on the line of clouds), sharpened a bit, and tried to fix some of the color with HSL adjustments, all in Lightroom 4. But again, there's only so much I can do with an already processed image.

Suggest never pushing both vibrance and saturation. Pick one or the other. Vibrance is usually used when skin tones are present; saturation can be used otherwise. My rule of thumb is, push till I can see it, then back off a bit. IMO it should enhance, not overwhelm. Here, but blue overwhelms the entire image, and destroys the other colors that should be present. For example, that glow in the sky should have more orange in it, as well as pink. The fields should be vibrant green. The clouds probably contained some deep blue and purple, along with gray. I mean, this is Tuscany, right, famed for its light?

Don: the EXIF data states that the image was captured by a Nikon CoolPix P510, a P&S. It only creates jpgs in 3 compression levels. A fine camera, but I would always recommend fine jpg format. (I have an bookmark that will read and display the EXIF data for me.)

I hope some day to be able to visit this area.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #293559 by Tuscan Muse
Thanks Gary for taking the time to give me such good advice. I learned a lot from you today. Vibrance OR saturationa and not both. I know I need to upgrade my camera. It is on my bucket list along with taking the time to learn post processing.

:thx:
10 years 8 months ago #293564 by garyrhook
Of course, just trying to assist. I like to be verbose in the hopes that whomever I am addressing won't get bent out of shape. It takes some time to develop thick skin.

Re: equipment. Yes, I understand. The day I figured out my (rather short) lens shopping list was over $5K I got kinda depressed.

I have got to find some more paying customers. With money.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024