Wagon at Ghost Ranch

8 years 6 months ago #458751 by garyrhook
On display as you drive into the main area.  Comments on the treatment/processing are greatly appreciated.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #458775 by KCook
On my monitor I think I see a whiff of magenta.  And I'd be tempted to back the contrast down just a tad.

nohelp

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: garyrhook
8 years 6 months ago #458829 by Shadowfixer1
Bottom good, top yuck. I know it's personal taste but I don't like your sky treatments lately. I'm seeing too many crazy unnatural colors in your images but like I said it's a personal choice.
8 years 6 months ago #458901 by garyrhook
I appreciate the input. Let's try this again. I took another run at the sky, and tamed the overall pink hue (even though the rocks and sand are quite red up there). I'm hoping that the clouds still have character but more appropriate color.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #458904 by Shadowfixer1
Layer masks are your friend. Bottom of first, sky from the second one. It doesn't have to be either or.
8 years 6 months ago #458957 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Layer masks are your friend. Bottom of first, sky from the second one. It doesn't have to be either or.

Well, I mask like crazy.

I pulled back on the (overall) reds in PS, but also back in LR I lowered the (overall) vibrance. That's the main difference. I can't decide where I want the overall tone. But I can happily undo that change:

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #458963 by Chrome
nice shot gary, i like the natural feel of the second one.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #458969 by KCook
Oh!  Didn't know this was the masking game.  The terrain/foreground mask still has overblown highlights, while the sky needs more contrast.

maskshy

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 6 months ago #458988 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Oh!  Didn't know this was the masking game.  The terrain/foreground mask still has overblown highlights, while the sky needs more contrast.

maskshy

"Still has overblown highlights"? Sorry, Kelly, but the only blown part of the image is the sky on the left, just above the mesa. Unfortunately, none of my shots got that part of the sky right. I don't see anything in the lower part as blown, although I'd really like to know what you refer to? i.e. I detect no missing detail in the wagon, grass or mesa.

As for the contrast in the sky, my skills are limited. Anything I do to the clouds seems to end up introducing odd colors. I'd rather stick with a consistent appearance.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #458991 by stuartsbarbie
I like this one.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #459006 by KCook

garyrhook wrote:

KCook wrote: Oh!  Didn't know this was the masking game.  The terrain/foreground mask still has overblown highlights, while the sky needs more contrast.

maskshy

"Still has overblown highlights"? Sorry, Kelly, but the only blown part of the image is the sky on the left, just above the mesa.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

Attachments:
8 years 6 months ago #459007 by garyrhook
Thanks, Kelly.

Bright, yes. Blurry, yes, from a 4 sec exposure. But not blown. Not in the SOOC, nor here. Unless I don't understand the term "blown highlights".

I've attached crops from the original (D810) file for up-close examination. What am I not seeing?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
8 years 6 months ago #459010 by KCook
Ok, I shoulda said "bright" instead of "blown" :P

In my many years in the desert I've never seen grass glow that strong.

blinky

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #459075 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Ok, I shoulda said "bright" instead of "blown" :P

In my many years in the desert I've never seen grass glow that strong.

blinky

Ah.... that turns out to be very helpful, thank you. Using soft-proofing (in LR) and some gamut analysis (in PS) I see the problem and have made adjustments. Lowering the highlights has also increased the contrast in the clouds, hopefully without perverting the colors in the sky.

[Apologies for the added images, above. They are using the ProPhoto RGB color space. 
]

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #459079 by Shadowfixer1
Kelly has been out in the desert sun too long. :P  The bright part on the left appears to be a gravel drive and should be expected to be brighter. I would tone down the grass a little but it's not that bad. The image is a lot better than the originals posted.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024