Manfrotto vs Really Right Stuff

13 years 3 months ago #16965 by Moossmann
In terms of tripods that will last, what is a better brand Tripod, manfrotto or really right stuff? I was just on searching on bhvideo and adororama and I see manfrotto tripods all over the place but I couldn't find any really right stuff tripods listed? Is that because they aren't as good so retailers don't carry them?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16970 by Jeffster
You can't go wrong with either. I think you will get a tad more quality from Really Right Stuff, but that is really opinion based only. They have a macro focusing rail I want as soon as I get a new macro lens! One of my best friends has one of their tripods and this macro focusing rail and he can do some pretty cool stuff with it. When he is taking a shot with his macro lens, and needs to adjust the distance between the lens and what he is shooting, he can simply turn a knob on this focusing rail that adjust the camera with out having to move the entire camera and tripod.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16971 by Baydream
No first hand knowledge but in several workshops, the instructors had very high praise for Really Right Stuff.
Are they doing "sole distribution"? Yes. From their website:
"Really Right Stuff products may only be purchased directly from Really Right Stuff. We do not sell our products through distributors or other online shops. "

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16988 by Jeffster

Baydream wrote: No first hand knowledge but in several workshops, the instructors had very high praise for Really Right Stuff.
Are they doing "sole distribution"? Yes. From their website:
"Really Right Stuff products may only be purchased directly from Really Right Stuff. We do not sell our products through distributors or other online shops. "

I wonder why is that?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17015 by dmzajac2004
I have a Manfrotto 190XB pro tripod that I've had for nearly 3 years. I really have been hard on this tripod and it has taken the abuse really well. I really came to rely and depend on its sturdy build, and easy set up. It weighs 4 pounds and I'm a hiking photographer. I finally purchased a Carbon Fiber Induro tripod a few months ago and have retired my Manfrotto to studio work. I wouldn't dream of selling it. It's an old friend.

I have a Really Right Stuff ball head, and also their L-Plates for my camera bodies. I just love this ball head and plates! I can't rave enough about them.
As for only being able to buy direct I can only think it's a quality control issue.
Customer service is aux petits oignons!
I dropped into the store/showroom last summer to pick up a spare ball head cover while passing through San Luis Obispo and they were very friendly and helpful.

I do think either tripod would serve you well. Just get one that you can carry all day. :)

translation of French idiomatic expression- aux petits oignons- first rate
Literal translation- from little onions
l

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #17137 by Moossmann
Good information, thank you for the heads up on both of these.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17654 by Silver Fox
I have one of their tripods on my wish list for this year :woohoo:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #17656 by Karl Wertanen
I've had the same Manfrotto now for 14 years and i beat the snot out of it. It's a workhorse.
B)
Solid
It hasn't been an industry leader for decades for no reason.
13 years 3 months ago #18916 by Moossmann

Karl Wertanen wrote: I've had the same Manfrotto now for 14 years and i beat the snot out of it. It's a workhorse.
B)
Solid
It hasn't been an industry leader for decades for no reason.

You should do a commercial for them! 14 years is awesome! I'm sold

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #18977 by Stealthy Ninja
This is how it goes.

Gitzo = the best tripods (for a price)
Manfrotto = good quality workhorse style tripods. Not quite up there with Gitzo, but good enough.
Feisol = Bargain quality. Their carbon tripods are IMHO better than Manfrotto, but not quite as good as Gitzo.
Really Right Stuff = Very high quality stuff. Maybe even better than Gitzo (still too new to tell), but you pay for it (but you do with Gitzo too, so whatever)
13 years 3 months ago #18978 by Stealthy Ninja

Karl Wertanen wrote: It hasn't been an industry leader for decades for no reason.

Gitzo are considered better. I don't know how you're defining "industry leader" though. Sales?
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #19295 by Karl Wertanen

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote: It hasn't been an industry leader for decades for no reason.

Gitzo are considered better. I don't know how you're defining "industry leader" though. Sales?

Yea, Gitzo is better. I wasn't arguing that
I'm talking if they were crap, they wouldn't be still in business. There's still, after all these years, a demand for their product. They are pretty solid tripods. By now, after decades of existence, if they were manufactured poorly and/or created products amateurs and professionals didnt want, people wouldn't buy them and their business would have failed. While they are not "top dog", they're still a leader that keeps coming out w/quality products to meet market demands.
13 years 3 months ago #20205 by Stealthy Ninja

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Yea, Gitzo is better. I wasn't arguing that
I'm talking if they were crap, they wouldn't be still in business. There's still, after all these years, a demand for their product. They are pretty solid tripods. By now, after decades of existence, if they were manufactured poorly and/or created products amateurs and professionals didnt want, people wouldn't buy them and their business would have failed. While they are not "top dog", they're still a leader that keeps coming out w/quality products to meet market demands.

K
13 years 3 months ago #20211 by Screamin Scott
I've got products from both manufacturers & wouldn't hesitate to recommend either...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #20227 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote: I've got products from both manufacturers & wouldn't hesitate to recommend either...

Perhaps even mixing them up. ;) :) :whistle:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024