Hand painted canvas and muslin photography backdrops?

7 years 8 months ago #491531 by Tim Burg
Any of you spend the extra bucks on hand painted canvas and muslin photography backdrops? 

Did you find the quality exceed your expectations?  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #491797 by Foggy
It's a hit or miss to be honest.  I've ordered some backdrops that came in and were gorgeous while others were of horrible quality.  

These days, there is no silver bullet.  

Try either Denny mfg or Studiodynamics  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #491954 by Joslyn
Now the hand painted ones, when they get folded, will the paint crack quicker?  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #492031 by One Creative Girl
OMG make sure not to go cheap here.  My husband bought me a 'hand painted' backdrop last year and it wasn't.  It was the worst quality and just feels cheap.  He's not a photographer so didn't know any better.  The quality ones are going to cost you, but they will be worth it. 

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #492048 by Scott Klubeck
So true, you get what you pay for.  Tripods, camera bags and backdrops are a few things  you don't want to go cheap on.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #492392 by MYoung
OMG stay clear of the cheap backdrops.  They never last.  NEVER.  I've been down that path a few times and it's always a disappointment.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494625 by Gammill

Joslyn wrote: Now the hand painted ones, when they get folded, will the paint crack quicker?  

Their not supposed too, at least the good ones aren't

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #495817 by MYoung

Gammill wrote:

Joslyn wrote: Now the hand painted ones, when they get folded, will the paint crack quicker?  

Their not supposed too, at least the good ones aren't

Famous last words!  LOL I've had items in the past that you paid a higher premium for, and they fall apart.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496746 by Chris Yates
Yikes - was thinking about getting a backdrop for the photo class that I teach, but I might do a little bit more research after stumbling on this thread...

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #497798 by srubio77
From my experience, any sort of backdrop is sort of a mixed bag...I try to get something see something in person before purchase if at all possible.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024