Custom insert for Pelican Hard case?

4 years 4 months ago #670420 by Francis
How can I get a custom interior for my Pelican hard case?  I know this can be done, I saw someone last year how had a Pelican case with a custom interior.  

Do you know how this is done, or better yet, who does this sort of work?  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670463 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Francis

I do not own a Pelican case - but it looks to me a modern replacement for the cases I had back in the 70's and 80's ... a hard case with a foam block as an insert - ready to be cut to shape

In my case I spent time laying my kit out on a sheet of cardboard of the same outside dimensions, playing with placements until I was happy, then drew a shadow line around it all, then cut out a series of holes inside the lines to keep it tight - transferred the pattern to the foam via a texta / felt pen. Then using one of those long-bladed razor knives I cut into the foam and tilted the blade to create a sort-of-a-curved hollow for lenses. The cutting process looks very daggy at the start, but after a month or so of use, the daggy bits get flattened down and it starts to look quite neat

I rebuilt the foam block every 2 yrs or so as new kit arrived or was updated and the new item was a different size

All in all, it's not difficult, especially when you start with a good working template and very sharp blades

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 4 months ago #670578 by garyrhook
You don't specify which case.

For my 1501, I use the foam insert and pluck out shapes for my camera and lenses. The packing isn't as dense as might be possible, but nothing moves and I am confident in their security.

Pelican also makes divider inserts for (some?) cases.

Have you looked at what they offer?

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670580 by TCooper
Highly recommend "My Case Builder"  https://mycasebuilder.com/

They'll get you squared away

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024