Carbon fiber vs aluminum tripods?

1 year 3 months ago #747232 by Petroguy
In case you missed my other post here.  I'm brand new to photography and just picking up all my gear right now.  I know how important a good tripod is from my dad back in the day.  However now that I'm looking these things up, I see there are so many choices!  

Starting off, which is best for someone getting started, carbon fiber or aluminum?  

1 year 3 months ago #747236 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

A lot of the answer/s to your Q will be "it depends"

Personally all my tripods are aluminium legs and the 20-yr old ones are still in good nik as they have always been looked after ... and not placed into the ocean for 'smooth water' pics

Your primary need for a tripod is for
a) something that will not vibrate in the breeze,
b) something that when opened to its nominal full height brings the camera to your eye level, and
c) one that when closed will easily be carried around
and then it comes down to
d) price vs your budget

Your tripod and its head will have some label stating the weight that it is designed to carry ... choose that or a bit more (ie: your heaviest camera+lens might come in at 3kg so choose a 5kg unit). The head (often a ball & socket these days) needs to be easy to lock tight and unlock to allow movement and fine adjustments ... some stick and jerk a bit

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 3 months ago #747244 by Razky

Petroguy wrote: In case you missed my other post here. I'm brand new to photography and just picking up all my gear right now. I know how important a good tripod is from my dad back in the day. However now that I'm looking these things up, I see there are so many choices! 
Starting off, which is best for someone getting started, carbon fiber or aluminum?

I prefer wood, but also have both aluminum and carbon-fiber tripods. Each one  serves the purpose I bought it for, due more to its size and style than what its made of. I have several different tripods because I don't believe in "one size fits all." So, I would not say that any one material is "best." Check all specifications before purchasing.

1 year 2 months ago #748319 by Petroguy
Thank you both.  I completely forgot I made this post!  I ended up buying a Vanguard tripod.  I read an article on this site that was talking about this particular tripod.  265 something or another (not home and don't have model number with me). 

Razky - wood tripod?  

1 year 2 months ago #748339 by Ozzie_Traveller

Petroguy wrote: Thank you both.  I completely forgot I made this post!  I ended up buying a Vanguard tripod.  I read an article on this site that was talking about this particular tripod.  265 something or another (not home and don't have model number with me). 

Razky - wood tripod?  

G'day mate

yep- wooden tripods are widely available - used in industry more than photography - but also used by those photographers who go into the ocean for 'moving-water' images.  The salt water does not damage the wooden legs as it does for traditional tripods ~ and a qwik hose down to it after salt-water use is all that's needed to keep it going okay
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 2 months ago #748343 by Richard Taylor
Never owned a wood tripod, do the legs collapse?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748355 by Razky

Petroguy wrote: Razky - wood tripod?

Among other brands, I have a Ries J100 and J600 -  www.riestripod.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024