question what is a senson cleaning?

13 years 4 months ago #10823 by luckywish1
question what is a senson cleaning and does the nikon and canon both have them?????
this month im geting me a new camera and everyone is telling me that the canon is a better camera then nikon. im very puzzle here because i only know about the nikon right now . im just a beginner at all this. and im still learning. last night i was holding a canon in my hand too and i thought it was to lightweight and i wasnt very please with it. went to a friend house last night for new year eve and she had to test out her new camera so i did. and it was to light weight

13 years 4 months ago #10839 by bhowdy
Both Canon and Nikon have in camera sensor cleaning features built into their dslr camera bodies. Of course there will always be a need for hands-on sensor cleanings when the in camera systems cannot handle larger dust and lubricant spots on the sensor ....

Canon and Nikon both make quality camera gear so the decision comes down to personal preference.

Camera body ergonomics (how the camera body feels in your hands) is important. Keep in mind that the lens on the camera body can greatly change how a camera feels in your hands. For example any camera body will feel one way with a 50mm prime lens mounted and then completely different with a heavy mid-range zoom lens mounted on it (like a 24-70mm)

One word of caution when comparing two different brands of cameras ... Make sure that you are comparing equivalent cameras, across the two brands. For example comparing a Canon 5dII to a Nikon D5000 would not be a valid comparison, just as a comparison between a Nikon D7000 versus a Canon Rebel wouldn't be apples to apples.

Try this link for a small comparison list
Canon - Nikon

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 4 months ago #10854 by Screamin Scott
I have one problem with the article you linked to & that was this quote
"One big difference between the Rebel XS and the Nikon D3100 is that the Nikon D3100 is NOT 100% backwards-compatible with older Nikon lenses — while the Rebel XS works just fine with a large number of Canon and third-party lenses."

I personally don't consider loss of AF to be that big of a deal. The camera will still meter with the older AF lenses. Plus there is the fact that the D3100 can mount & shoot with the even older manual focus lenses, something the Canon can't do since Canon changed their mount when they went to AF. Thus one can use the older PRO quality MF lenses on the D3100 without the need for special adapters to be able to mount them. Granted, you won't have metering, but for most shooting, it's easy to just use the LCD & Histogram to fine tune a shot. I do this more often than not as my D70s won't meter with the NF lenses I use. Now when it comes to fast moving action shots, yes, it can be a disadvantage not having AF & metering, but for most photographic situations it's fine & has the added advantage of being able to use PRO quality MF glass at prices much less than the current AF versions go for.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10882 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: I have one problem with the article you linked to & that was this quote
"One big difference between the Rebel XS and the Nikon D3100 is that the Nikon D3100 is NOT 100% backwards-compatible with older Nikon lenses — while the Rebel XS works just fine with a large number of Canon and third-party lenses."

I personally don't consider loss of AF to be that big of a deal. The camera will still meter with the older AF lenses. Plus there is the fact that the D3100 can mount & shoot with the even older manual focus lenses, something the Canon can't do since Canon changed their mount when they went to AF. Thus one can use the older PRO quality MF lenses on the D3100 without the need for special adapters to be able to mount them. Granted, you won't have metering, but for most shooting, it's easy to just use the LCD & Histogram to fine tune a shot. I do this more often than not as my D70s won't meter with the NF lenses I use. Now when it comes to fast moving action shots, yes, it can be a disadvantage not having AF & metering, but for most photographic situations it's fine & has the added advantage of being able to use PRO quality MF glass at prices much less than the current AF versions go for.

Old manual focus lenses, even though really good, aren't usually supported by the manufacturer anymore. Not a lot of newcomers want to buy a really old lens that will be a PITA to service.

Canon has more FULL supported lenses right now, but we all know it comes down to preference.

BTW the D3X, Nikon's flagship model, does not have self cleaning.

:woohoo: :woohoo:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #11462 by Pops
In-camera sensor cleaning is not that big a deal. If you are fairly careful with your lens changes, you probably won't have to have your sensor cleaned very often at all. I have had the sensor on my D40 cleaned once, but I knew at the time it got dirty that it was going to happen. To get the picture I wanted, I had to change lenses huddled in my vest. I got the picture and I also got stuff on my sensor which I had to have J clean off for me. Other than that I have not had another problem.

The big difference between Canon and Nikon (and others) is in the way they feel and the way they lay out their controls. Once you take the photograph out of the camera, it is very difficult, or impossible, to tell the difference between them. The one which fits your hands, your eye, and your projected growth path is the right one.

Pops

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024