Signing a Photograph?

13 years 3 months ago #21059 by bankmaster
I actually sold a photograph! My first!! But now the guy wants me to sign it. Is a large print - 24" x 36". Where should I sign it and what type of pen should I use?

13 years 3 months ago #21096 by Baydream
One site I saw said a fine point Sharpie. Another said "Currently my favorite for signing photos is the Sakura Pen Touch .7mm extra fine point paint pens. You can find them on Amazon or from Blick Art Supply."
and here is another www.createforless.com/Zig+Photo+Signatur...ebase&utm_medium=cse

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21253 by crystal
Congrats on selling a photo! :banana:
13 years 3 months ago #21254 by crystal

Baydream wrote: One site I saw said a fine point Sharpie.

Yes I heard alot of people use a Sharpie.
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #21268 by RajShaktiKaur
I always use a silver finepoint sharpie... works pretty good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg ;)

Oh and CONGRATS on selling a photo!!! YAY!!!!

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #21272 by KVRNut
I use either a gold or silver heavy tip gel pen for signing. My signature is usually on the lower left, high enough from the bottom and side to allow for framing.
Congrats on selling your first print! May you sell many more!

13 years 3 months ago #21687 by Bjean
Well you have many answers. So I am just going to leave a Congrats! on selling your first photograph. It is exciting.

13 years 2 months ago #30851 by kodiak
Lots of variables there. Gonna frame it? Mat is? How wides the mat? Is the print itself light or dark?

Generally the artist signs a print in the lower right hand corner, using a fine line, permanent ink pen. Many prefer black - I like silver or gold, if it'll show up on the print. Others prefer signing the mat itself. If you sign the print, make sure the signature will still be visable when it's matted. If you sign the matt, make sure the signature will show once it's framed.

13 years 2 months ago #31604 by cielo
First of all, congratulations for selling your work???

As to signing, I sign the botom left about 5/8" or so in and up to allow for a mat. I use an acid-free, silver or sometimes gold pen, or black if all else fails.

13 years 2 months ago #31622 by daveman
I only sign a print when I sell one (which isn't often :lol: )

If it's matted, I'll often sign in pencil on lower right corner of the mat must below the actual print. If I'm signing the actual print, I use a staedtler liquid point pen that is archival in nature.

13 years 2 months ago #31651 by chasrich
Congratulations. I can't imagine how flattering it must be to be asked for a signature on your work. Then again, being a blackmailer it might not be prudent for me to do that anyway...

Can we see a smaller version of the shot?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024