went for a walk in the woods

13 years 3 months ago #22496 by jim h
I went for a walk in the woods and took a few pictures today.
Please give me your thoughts on them .It’s my first snow pictures.
With my canon Rebel t2i .I used an 18-55mm lens. Don’t be shy I can take it

Thanks Jimmy

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22502 by jim h

I'm having a problem getting the photos uploaded

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #22509 by Baydream
Really? I like this photo. The contrast between the colorful wreath and the muted background makes the main subject "Pop" out. The texture of the background is very interesting.
I would try different crops to moves towards the rule of thirds (not really a rule but a guide). Don't get hung up on that, it's only a guide.
I would have liked to have taken this shot.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22510 by Baydream

jim h wrote: I'm having a problem getting the photos uploaded

What size are the photos. I have had to "downsize" some of mine to upload. After you attach, click the Insert to have the photo fill the box.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22529 by Screamin Scott
Composition is good, but the snow looks a little gray...You might overexpose snow scenes by about 1 to 2 stops as the camera tries to compensate for the excess white in snow scenes...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22530 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote: Composition is good, but the snow looks a little gray...You might overexpose snow scenes by about 1 to 2 stops as the camera tries to compensate for the excess white in snow scenes...

Good suggestion. Snow does fool the camera.
Check out the attached photo in the first post. I think you'll like that one.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #22534 by Rob pix4u2
Like the shots a lot- nothing to add except that a lower angle on the second one would be an extra pop for that shot. more of a ground up shot is what I mean

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #22535 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Like the shots a lot- nothing to add except that a lower angle on the second one would be an extra pop for that shot. more of a ground up shot is what I mean

Excellent point.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22539 by Karl Wertanen
Hey Jim, hey guys..
photo 1, I agree w/what they said about the exposure in the 1st one.
Compositionaly, you have the right idea. I would have went in the same direction. I would have just moved the wreath a little more to the right. I'm not sure the lens focal length you used but something else that can make this composition fun is to use a longer lens, choose a lower f/stop like f/5.6 or lower, zoome up on the wreath and blurr the background. It can a little drama to the overall effect of the photo. I atached an example of what i'm talking about. I shot this birch tree in panorama format but the idea is still the same w/the horizontal "landscape" orientation you took this one in.

The second one is nice also, but my formatt of choice would have been in the "portrait" verticle orientation. The tracks through the boardwak/bridge would have been good foreground leading out into the woods. Actualy, i would have tried both but i believe a verticle would take your eye through this photo a little better. Experimenting is alot of fun and you can compare results and pic your favorite :) :cheers:
Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22541 by jim h
Thanks for your advice I see what you’re saying, that’s the only ones I could
Upload trying to downsize the others .
not have much luck. What should I resize them to?

13 years 3 months ago #22542 by Baydream

jim h wrote: Thanks for your advice I see what you’re saying that’s the only ones I could
Upload trying to downsize the others .not have much luck. What should I resize them to?

If you take them to 1024 they should come up easily.
I know it's basic but Picasa lets you resize when you use the Export feature.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22545 by Karl Wertanen

Baydream wrote:

jim h wrote: Thanks for your advice I see what you’re saying that’s the only ones I could
Upload trying to downsize the others .not have much luck. What should I resize them to?

That works...

Anything less than 2MB will upload.
All mine are around 600x400ppi
13 years 3 months ago #22546 by Baydream

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Baydream wrote:

That works...

Anything less than 2MB will upload.
All mine are around 600x400ppi

Thanks.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #22549 by Karl Wertanen

Karl Wertanen wrote: Hey Jim, hey guys..
photo 1, I agree w/what they said about the exposure in the 1st one.
Compositionaly, you have the right idea. I would have went in the same direction. I would have just moved the wreath a little more to the right. I'm not sure the lens focal length you used but something else that can make this composition fun is to use a longer lens, choose a lower f/stop like f/5.6 or lower, zoome up on the wreath and blurr the background. It can a little drama to the overall effect of the photo. I atached an example of what i'm talking about. I shot this birch tree in panorama format but the idea is still the same w/the horizontal "landscape" orientation you took this one in.

The second one is nice also, but my formatt of choice would have been in the "portrait" verticle orientation. The tracks through the boardwak/bridge would have been good foreground leading out into the woods. Actualy, i would have tried both but i believe a verticle would take your eye through this photo a little better. Experimenting is alot of fun and you can compare results and pic your favorite :) :cheers:

Heres what i meant w/the second one. A wide angle verticle shot leading the foreground and your eye out to the top of the photograph. But instead of rocks leading you out to the coast horizon line, the trax through the snow leading you out to the woods... Obviously they are going to look a bit different but i think you get the idea..

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #22551 by spokani
ok with the rule of thirds how would you apply it to this pic to me the bridge would be the focal point of interest, would you angle the pic as to have the bridge in in the bottom right or left thid?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024