Full frame or not to full frame? That's the question

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #261115 by Henry Peach

Joves wrote: The crop I use for wildlife simply because the sensor already gives you a crop without degrading the image, allowing more cropping in post.

The magnification increase caused by using a smaller format occurs in the display stage. The lens projects the same size image on whatever format sensor. If the scene is composed with the same field of view then the smaller format requires a greater enlargement factor to get the same size print as the larger format. Technically increasing the enlargement factor decreases image quality, although it may have to be pushed pretty far to see quality differences in the real world.

Whether or not a smaller format would be more efficient at longer focal lengths for in-camera cropping depends on photo receptor size, quantity, and density so you have to compare specific sensors and not just format. If you are using an APS-C format camera that has significantly more mp, then it probably is more efficient. Compared to a 35mm format camera with a similar amount or more photo receptor quantity/size/density then cropping the larger format in processing may be better. For instance if I crop my 21mp 5DII to the same field of view as my 10mp 40D I'm going to end up with a higher pixel count image (about 13mp). At that point as long as I crop them the same way the 5DII shot is always going to have more pixels than the 40D shot. On the other hand if I compare a 7D (16mp?) to my old 5DI (12mp) then the opposite is true.
11 years 5 months ago #261212 by Scotty

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Cameras I've owned starting at worst AF to best.

40D
5D
5Dii

My mis-focus rate with your three worst cameras is about 1 in 1000 shots. That may be horrible compared to the latest wang-doodles, but in my world that's well beyond the limit of idiot proof.

Jump into a 1d series cam or the 5d mark III and you'll hate your AF on the other cams...A LOT.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261236 by studiotoffa
If you are not totally bought into any system yet, I would recommend you to rent some of the cameras you want to get, and try the cameras before you make up your mind if want to swap sensor size, camera make and so on. And don't get to hung up on the AF. AF is only important if you shoot sports, journalistic or wildlife. If what you're into is macro and landscapes, you don't need a snapping AF since you have enough time to manual focus when it comes to both landscape and macro.
And when it comes to Nikon D800/E, this is not a general purpose camera. If you don't need those large files, there is no point in investing in that camera. A D600 is more than up for the job (even with clustered AF-sensor nest in middle of the view finder). And as I said in another thread here with regards to that, it's like getting a souped up Corvette Viper to use it only to drive to supermarket and take the kids to football practice.
And there is the cameras of yesterday on the second hand market, though discontinoued, they still present you with much camera for years to come. But what to look for at the second hand market is an entire thread in it's own.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

11 years 4 months ago #264961 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Cameras I've owned starting at worst AF to best.

40D
5D
5Dii

My mis-focus rate with your three worst cameras is about 1 in 1000 shots. That may be horrible compared to the latest wang-doodles, but in my world that's well beyond the limit of idiot proof.

Looked quickly at your zenfolio. I saw nothing there that needs tracking AF. Still like Scotty said, try something better and you'll realise what you were missing. Being able to track a moving object is great.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024