Why is shooting in RAW slower than JPEG?

13 years 3 months ago #26682 by Kitzmiller
(remember I'm a newbie) I'm reading some of the post and threads here and found a statement about shooting in RAW is slower than JPEG? They didn't say why? Can you answer that for me please?

So if RAW is slower, why am I reading that most of you shoot in RAW over JPEG?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #26754 by Joves
I dont see a difference with my D300 and Im using RAW+Jpeg. Im not saying it doesnt happen with some models but, I dont see much effect even when shooting bursts. I think has more to do with the size and the flush speeds of the buffer than anything else.

13 years 3 months ago #26817 by Solstar
I think it has to do with the amount of information that RAW retains vs a JPEG. Much bigger files result (almost like taking several shots at once) and so take more time to write to the card. My cameras aren't the most modern so I definitely notice a difference in write speeds and have run up against the buffer a few times.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #26939 by Stealthy Ninja

Solstar wrote: I think it has to do with the amount of information that RAW retains vs a JPEG. Much bigger files result (almost like taking several shots at once) and so take more time to write to the card. My cameras aren't the most modern so I definitely notice a difference in write speeds and have run up against the buffer a few times.

:agree:

Exactly, it just they have more information to process. But it's worth it and unless you're using burst mode, not worth worrying about.

Oh and IMHO "burst mode" should be for getting 3-4 shots at a time, not filling your buffer for no reason.
13 years 3 months ago #27580 by Kitzmiller
OK so that is why you shoot in RAW most of the time then. Now are RAW fills pretty restrictive as to what programs will open that file?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #27591 by Baydream
Check your camera manual and/or the manufacturers' web sites of determine processing and transfer speeds if you are using burst mode. Memory card speed will also impact how fast a camera can clear its buffer.
Sports photography and very active wildlife scenes may encourage long bursts to get the"right" shot.
Remember that RAW requires more processing the jpeg, so depending on how much time you want to spend in front of your monitor, you may choose jpeg.
Try setting your camera to shoot both RAW and jpeg and experiment to see which better meets your needs.

RAW will let you get the best out of your captures. You have to decide at what cost.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #27656 by qualityresults
raw- jpeg comparison is sort of comparing apples to oranges although both are the same picture, the amount of information they have is not.

take for example a raw image can be processed and reprocessed and there would be no loss of information. If you use the manufacturer or Adobe's Camera Raw you can comeback in 6 months or a year dn redo the picture as if you had just taken it.

Jpeg compression will cause loss over each generation of photo (each time it is copied or worked)

So to answer the original question raw is Stephen Kings Christine in hardback and Jpeg is the Coles note's version. Each one fits on the shelf but Raw takes up more space.

There are a number of programs that can process the raw files, as I had mentioned above Adobe Camera Raw. The Manufacturer also includes software to assist in processing raw files.

I have also noticed that photos processed in Adobe Camera Raw and converted to Jpeg are actually smaller :cheers: than those processed in the manufacturer provided software. At Least Digital Photo Professional from Canon produced larger Jpegs than did Adobe Camera Raw.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024