Best dslr camera for beginners?

6 years 9 months ago #534206 by albinpix
I had the Nikon D5300 for quite a while and I'd say it's one of the best you could get for under $1000. Definitely recommend looking into it if you haven't already - might be a bit advanced for beginners, but if you're looking for a great camera in that price range you can always grow into it.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 days ago - 6 years 3 days ago #578281 by BWalters45
I'm going to be a student at UMass Boston next year and will be studying photojournalism. I'm trying to choose my first camera as a graduation present, but don't have a large budget.

What should be my first camera for under $500? I'm hearing the Nikon D5500 or D3300 are good buys for the price, but maybe I should try to get a used one to learn on that once retailed for higher? If so, where should I look to find these? Craigslist?

This will be my first serious camera and I don't want to look like a fool walking into class with a "bad" camera, but I really don't know what to buy. I'll admit I had no idea how expensive camera gear could get :sick: .

Any guidance would be appreciated :)

6 years 2 days ago #578774 by garyrhook
First off, hijacking threads is considered poor form. Easy enough to start your own.

That said, find a used Nikon D700 and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. You can't go wrong with a basic setup like that.

A D300 is a 12MP camera, crop-frame, and is quite nice and robust. It still has many fans. The biggest problem with buying used is knowing how many shutter actuations a body has had, and whether it works at all. You can find the shutter count from any image produced by the camera (there are websites for this). Rule of thumb: 150,000 actuation before replacing the shutter mechanism. But that can vary. A new shutter runs about $300.

Yes, cameras are spendy. Your entry point is going to be closer to $600-$700 no matter how you slice it. You can look for a used D5300 to save some money, but that's still $500.

Or look at some of the suggestions made throughout this thread.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024